White Patchs On Ls430 Window.

kieran od

hi Just about to purchase 01ls430 all my q/a sorted by this great site except one. The car has a white fog mark between the double glazeing on the back passanger window . Because it is a "TRADE CAR" the dealer will not be replaceing the glass. Any idea what caused it and is there a cheap fix?. ls 430 102k on clock full service history plus t/b done at 90k.

Many Thanks Kieran O D.

hi Just about to purchase 01ls430 all my q/a sorted by this great site except one. The car has a white fog mark between the double glazeing on the back passanger window . Because it is a "TRADE CAR" the dealer will not be replaceing the glass. Any idea what caused it and is there a cheap fix?. ls 430 102k on clock full service history plus t/b done at 90k.

Many Thanks Kieran O D.

Is it in one of the lower corners? Sounds like it is delaminating. This is happening on my 1991 Mercedes rear window. So far still isolated in the corner, but it has enlarged a tiny bit over the years. Also started to corrode the wires from the defroster. Probably no choice but to either live with it or replace it.

glenmore

1991 300CE

1990 LS400

2000 C280

Many Thanks Kieran O D.

Is it in one of the lower corners? Sounds like it is delaminating. This is happening on my 1991 Mercedes rear window. So far still isolated in the corner, but it has enlarged a tiny bit over the years. Also started to corrode the wires from the defroster. Probably no choice but to either live with it or replace it.

glenmore

1991 300CE

1990 LS400

2000 C280

Thank you for the reply anyone else?

Glenmore is right, it is delamination. I purchased my 2001 LS two years ago and have a small patch on my drivers window and passenger rear where the windows meets the door. After a lot of research I discovered that window cleaners with alcohol can cause this if there is a defect/opening in the laminate. When you spray cleaner on the window and it runs down to the rubber seal on the door it can sometimes get to the edge of the window through the seal. If the edge of the window has an imperfection it will wick into it and cause delamination. The good news is that it doesn't continue to spread if no more alcohol based cleaner gets into it. I now use a Turtle Wax product for cleaning the windows that is alcohol free. Your only option is to replace the window if it bothers you too much.

Glenmore is right, it is delamination. I purchased my 2001 LS two years ago and have a small patch on my drivers window and passenger rear where the windows meets the door. After a lot of research I discovered that window cleaners with alcohol can cause this if there is a defect/opening in the laminate. When you spray cleaner on the window and it runs down to the rubber seal on the door it can sometimes get to the edge of the window through the seal. If the edge of the window has an imperfection it will wick into it and cause delamination. The good news is that it doesn't continue to spread if no more alcohol based cleaner gets into it. I now use a Turtle Wax product for cleaning the windows that is alcohol free. Your only option is to replace the window if it bothers you too much.

Thank you both very much. I have found out my insurance will cover it but i did want to know what caused it thanks lex2001 for the post.

• 2 months later...

Glad to read this thread. I just bought a 2002 LS430 with 140k miles on the clock and it too has these patches where the window meets the lower rubber. Good to know what the cause is; both for peace of mind and to know what to avoid doing in the future when cleaning.

I had thought of changing the windows but I just read the manual and I just changed my mind. I changed all the side windows in my last car because of car wash scratching but that was relatively easy; this looks like it would be a big job.

BTW, how easy is it to lubricate the window winding mechanism? My driver's window is a bit noisy and I'd like to quieten it some.

Thanks

Mike

I love this lol. The dealer "won't be replacing it".

Tell them replace it or no sale and see how quickly they replace it...