Ls400 1999 Atf Drain/refill Diy?

ls400_1999

Folks,

My car has 95K miles on it and I don't think its ATF ever changed. I would like to DIY for this job but I could not find anything in the manual that describe how to drain/refill. I searched the archives and found a DIY for 1994 LS400, but I am still not sure where to find ATF hose that was mentioned for my car's year. Is it in the same place?

Any help with pcitures is very much appreciated.

Thank again

Tony

Folks,

My car has 95K miles on it and I don't think its ATF ever changed. I would like to DIY for this job but I could not find anything in the manual that describe how to drain/refill. I searched the archives and found a DIY for 1994 LS400, but I am still not sure where to find ATF hose that was mentioned for my car's year. Is it in the same place?

Thank again

Tony

Are you talking about simply draining the 2 quarts in the pan, or attempting to do a complete drain? I have not attempted a complete drain, so I can't help there.

If you are at 95K on the original ATF, you are definitely due. I would assume you would have significantly improved shifting with new fluid. If you don't want to try to drain the entire contents, you could do a 2 quart drain 'n fill at each oil change for 3-4 oil changes. It doesn't replace ALL of the old fluid, but certainly better than what you've got, and very easy.

I just did a tranny pan drain today on my '99. Remove the drain bolt, drain 2 quarts, replace drain bolt with new crush washer, refill 2 quarts through tranny dipstick opening. When I say 2 quarts, it is approximate; measure what you empty, put the same amount back in, check the dipstick.

Folks,

Thank again

Tony

Are you talking about simply draining the 2 quarts in the pan, or attempting to do a complete drain? I have not attempted a complete drain, so I can't help there.

If you are at 95K on the original ATF, you are definitely due. I would assume you would have significantly improved shifting with new fluid. If you don't want to try to drain the entire contents, you could do a 2 quart drain 'n fill at each oil change for 3-4 oil changes. It doesn't replace ALL of the old fluid, but certainly better than what you've got, and very easy.

I just did a tranny pan drain today on my '99. Remove the drain bolt, drain 2 quarts, replace drain bolt with new crush washer, refill 2 quarts through tranny dipstick opening. When I say 2 quarts, it is approximate; measure what you empty, put the same amount back in, check the dipstick.

I would like to do multiple drain/refills but the question is where is that "drain bolt" ?

Thank

The drain bolt is on the rear driver side of transmission pan. If memory serves, it takes a 14 mm socket. It is best to use a new crush washer when replacing.

The transmission pan is the rectangular pan in the center of the vehicle rearward of the front axle. You will need to jack up the front end or drive up on ramps to get to it.

For what it's worth, it took 2.3 quarts of ATF to get my fluid to 3/4 the way to the upper "H" mark with the car idling at operating temperature.