Door Locked In

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. My 1993 Es300 driver's door suddenly locked down. I can't open the door with the key or from the inside. When I try opening the door with the key, it would only turn half way. Same on the inside, no matter how much I push to unlock it would not open and would go back to lock. All the other doors are perfectly fine. I want to try to fix it myself, so any help, advise, or what caused the problem would be appreciated! Thank you for your time and have a great day. :)

-Best Regards,

Nick

By initial thought is that some part of the linkeage mechanism in the door broke. Possibly the plastic retainer arm that holds the connecting rod from the inside door pull. It could have come loose, dropped, and is now wedging the lock mechanism. Either way, I wouldnt' think it would be a massively major problem. If you pop off the inside door panel an gentle remove the moisture barrier (with the window rolled up) you should be able to visibly see what the obstruction is.

So, that's the first step... taking off the door panel and doing an inspection.

:o Anyone have an idea how to remove the door panel??

That's probably going to be very difficult, if not impossible. There are two trim pins on the side of the door which can only be accessed when the door is open. Also, there is a screw along the front edge of the door panel to be removed, between the door and the dashboard. This is also inaccessible when the door is closed.

You might want to call a local locksmith and see if he has any suggestions about how to get the door open.

It shouldn't be too much just to have them pop the door open for you... maybe $40 I would think. From there, taking off the door panel and finding what the problem is is quite easy. There are some pictures/tutorial on this site if you search for it.