Mark Levinson Upgrades For '03 Ls

So I've blown the sub on my Mark Levinson system in my LS, and I'm considering upgrading the sub/amp to a 5-channel system.

Anybody have any experience using speaker-level inputs on an aftermarket amp to power the stock door/dash speakers and a replacement actual sub?

I'm assuming the stock sub is an 8", what type of mountings have been done to mount an aftermarket free-air sub in the stock location or mounting a sealed box in that location?

Obviously keeping the stock head unit/processor is absolutely required which is why I'm inquiring about speaker-level inputs.

Thanks in advance,

Texas Lexus Owner sick of buzzy blown sub

• 2 months later...
So I've blown the sub on my Mark Levinson system in my LS, and I'm considering upgrading the sub/amp to a 5-channel system.

Anybody have any experience using speaker-level inputs on an aftermarket amp to power the stock door/dash speakers and a replacement actual sub?

I'm assuming the stock sub is an 8", what type of mountings have been done to mount an aftermarket free-air sub in the stock location or mounting a sealed box in that location?

Obviously keeping the stock head unit/processor is absolutely required which is why I'm inquiring about speaker-level inputs.

Thanks in advance,

Texas Lexus Owner sick of buzzy blown sub

I picked up my ES350 yesterday with the ML system in it. I've always installed my own high end after market system in my past cars. On my drive home from work tonight a good tune came on and I was forced to turn up the volume. The sub quickly ran out of gas. My next stop was my favorite stereo shop.

I was told that the ML amp could not be replaced with a standard aftermarket amp. I was also told that the speaker level outputs from the ML amp could be used to drive a new amp and Sub. They recomendation was a sealed box sub, placeded in the trunk. They said that you could also place an amp between the ML amp and the other speakers, but didn't seem excited that that would be good from a sound quality point.

They said if you want real good sound, rip it all out. I don't think so! At least not yet.