Steering Wheel Finish Coming Off

todda

I have a 2003 IS-300 with a gray interior. I only have 38,000 miles on the car, but the finish is starting to come off on the top-left part of the steering wheel. There are a bunch of small white spots where it looks like the gray finish has flaked off. This seems pretty unreasonable for a car with only 38,000 miles, and one with Lexus quality. Do other people see this? Is it something I can fix in some way? Would Lexus be likely to do anything about it for me, out of warranty?

Well, it could very well not be the cars fault. It all depends. At one time or another you or someone who drives the car may have had some corrosive or harsh chemicals on thier hands and touched the steeering wheel. The leather on the steering wheel is just that, leather, so the peeling could even just be from a higher PH in your persperation.

To fix it, I would just go to the store and find some shoe polish that mtaches and rub it in and then treat it with some saddle soap. Or, you can get a leather repair kit that will have the colors and you can just retouch those areas.