Ac Problems In My 92 Sc400

I need some help fixing my AC in my 92 SC400. The control unit in the center does not have any power. The light to the unit does not turn on and the LCD screen is black. I have heard that they are known to have problems with the AC unites in these cars. I have checked the #2 fuse that controls the AC and it looks okay. I have taken the unit out and ordered another from a salvage yard but the new/used unit came in with a black screen too. I plugged it in and nothing happened. I have talked to the salvage yard and they are going to find me another one with a good screen. I just wanted to know if I am on the right track in thinking that it might just be the unit itself or could there me another issue that could keep the power from going to the unit that I don't know about. Please help!

I need some help fixing my AC in my 92 SC400. The control unit in the center does not have any power. The light to the unit does not turn on and the LCD screen is black. I have heard that they are known to have problems with the AC unites in these cars. I have checked the #2 fuse that controls the AC and it looks okay. I have taken the unit out and ordered another from a salvage yard but the new/used unit came in with a black screen too. I plugged it in and nothing happened. I have talked to the salvage yard and they are going to find me another one with a good screen. I just wanted to know if I am on the right track in thinking that it might just be the unit itself or could there me another issue that could keep the power from going to the unit that I don't know about. Please help!

You are most likely on the right track with the climate control unit. If your screen is blacked out, the display can be replaced but if there are no LED lights on the buttons, and no action at all from the HVAC it may also need an amp. My '95 SC-400 recently had no A/C action with a black screen. A Lexus dealer recommended I contact Mikado Technology, 8840 Forest St., Gilroy, CA, (408)848-5000 for refurbishment - he said dealerships all over the country use them with good results. They charge $195.00 to replace the display and backlight bulbs, and another $150.00 if it needs the amp repair. Contact Sammy Wu (sammywu@sbcglobal.net). Upon return, I plugged the unit in and everything was as new. You can spend about the same for a used unit if you aren't careful, and the new part is an unbelievable $1,184.00 - totally out of the question. I was very fortunate to find an honest Lexus parts man at a local dealership who put me wise. Best of luck.

Personally, I'd have someone check to see whether or not you're even getting power as well as ignition power there at the head before spending $300+ on AC control module. I'd hate for you to do that only to find out theres no power there in the first place. If you've got the head out I am sure with an inexpensive ohmmeter you could check for voltage yourself before the expense. It could be a partially pulled harness as well. Good luck!