1998 Es300 Ca Smog Test Failed

Hi Folks

I just joined this forum today. I have spent some times today to search different info regarding the ES300. The information has been useful and it is a really good forum. :P

I try to look for any related topic mentions about the smog test failed for ES300. However, I can't find any of those. If you know that it has been talked about, could someone give the link please?

Here is the result of the smog test. Btw, this car is tested in California.

Test MEA(%CO2) MEA(%O2) HC(MAX) HC(AVE) HC(MEA) CO(MAX) CO(AVE) CO(MEA) NO(MAX) NO(AVE) NO(MEA)

15mph 14.3 0.2 51 9 18 0.48 0.02 0.39 419 57 [[746]]

25mph 14.4 0.1 35 7 8 0.46 0.03 0.32 706 50 706

Base on the result, the mechanics told me that I need to replace the catalyst converter in order to pass the smog test.

When I try to search online for the catalyst converter, I can't find any CA emission certified catalyst converter. Does anyone replace the catalyst converter on your own and know where I can get one, please? If you have the write up how to DIY, could you share with me also. Your help is highly appreciated. :rolleyes:

1/Use seafoam to clean your injector + chambers

2/Put a bottle of Techron + 3 oz of Lucas UCL in your tank.

3/Change our oil to 10w40.

4/Run for 100-200mi

5/Put fresh - top tier gas in your tank.

6/Replace your PCV

7/Clean / change your air filter

8/Clean MAF

9/Warm up the engine for as least 30min (avoid idle) or 15mi highway before you let the tech do a re-test (which should be free).

Hot CAT is better than cold/warm CAT. I have seen some SMOG tech put a cold car to test and failed it right away. Remember, never let the same shop repair / replace your CAT. They want $$$.

This may save you $$$ for a new CAT.