60 Problems In 4 Years

tcpgv

My Mercedes Benz ML430 Year 2000 (50000 miles) has had more than 60 problems, and 60 days of service in less than 4 years.

I had to return the vehicle on 20 or more occasions to Autonation?Smythe European (the dealer) for warranty repairs. Currently Mercedes Benz has indicated that they will repurchase the car within 3-4 weeks.

Should I get a Lexus RX?

Is it reliable?

Does it have a lot of small, medium or large problems?

I have included a list of my ML430 problems below.

60 Problems in 4 Years[/b :angry: ]

1. Brake system defect, Esp pump leak fixed

2. Defect wiper motor replaced

3. Door malfunction, latch replaced

4. Maladjusted door fixed

5. Navigation system malfunction

6. Door malfunction, R/R door actuator replaced

7. Leaking washer reservoir replaced

8. Stop lamp switch malfunction

9. Fuel filter replaced

10. Gas door actuator malfunction

11. Defect AC system, fan speed switch knob replaced

12. Gas door lock replaced

13. Sunroof defect, seal replaced

14. Loose washer causing rattle inside left rear door replaced

15. 3rd brake lamp cover that pops of replaced

16. Inside trim panel tabs top defective

17. Right side washer nozzle replaced

18. Command center malfunction, navigation system replaced

19. Engine problem, right rear 02-sensor causing engine light on replaced

20. Door malfunction, right rear door lock replaced

21. Front brake pads and rotors changed, not covered by warranty

22. Missing sunroof guide clip replaced

23. Sliding sunroof shade tightened

24. Dents and dings fixed, not covered by warranty

25. Cracked left front lower seat plastic replaced

26. Rattling sunroof caused by sunroof frame replaced

27. Front brake pads replaced, not covered by warranty

28. Jammed left rear seatbelt fixed

29. Door malfunction, door lock actuator replaced

30. Brake pad wear sensor causing brake warning light replaced

31. AC defect, fuse and harness causing auxiliary fan to malfunction replaced

32. AC defect, blower causing noisy HVAC replaced

33. Rattle from roof console caused by rattling sunroof motor connectors fixed

34. Door malfunction, lock actuator replaced (both)

35. Door malfunction, squeaking door lock, not verified

36. Defective fuel door lock replaced

37. Stop lamp switch causing Bas ESP light on replaced

38. Wheel alignment, not covered by warranty

39. Worn tires replaced, not covered by warranty

40. Clamp on lower P/S hose recalled and replaced

41. Rear pads replaced, not covered by warranty

42. Loose insulation at right front window replaced

43. Wire causing CD Changer error fixed

44. Door malfunction, rear door cable rerouted

45. Window defect, loose insulation causing problems with left front window replaced

46. Window defect, window switch replaced

47. Defect CD Changer replaced

48. Loose right rear door insulation panel replaced

49. Door malfunction, right rear door actuator replaced

50. AC defect, blower vibration, not verified

51. Cracked steering wheel replaced

52. Defect rear pillar decals replaced

53. Defect front pillar decals replaced

54. AC defect, defective center dash vent replaced

55. Left squealing rear door actuator replaced

56. Left squealing front door actuator replaced

57. Window washer nozzles clogged, not covered by warranty

58. Cracked window reservoir replaced

59. Defective fuel filter replaced

60. Door malfunction, defective door actuator replaced

61. Power steering hose recalled and replaced

62. Alarm system defect, going off randomly, recoded

63. Navigation system defect, randomly shows incorrect location, not verified

Thats why I dont drive a Mercedes. You'll hear similar stories like that from several BMW and Benz owners. Its a nice car, lots of prestige...but well you know...

Anyways the RX should be FAR more reliable for you. There are some ideosycracies with the transmission hesitating sometimes because of the throttle by wire system, but they're not nearly as big a deal or as widespread as you may thing reading around here. Its just simply the "in" thing of the moment and it'll pass.

You're definately garunteed to have a far more trouble free experience than with your ML.

My wife and I will never buy another RX model due to the transmission problems we've experienced with our 2000 RX300. I battled Lexus for about five weeks and they finally decided to put another transmission in under our original warranty in mid-November, but the jury is still out and will remain out for quite some time. The new transmission is operating more smoothly now, but the noise level inside the cabin increased immediately upon the installation of the new transmission and Lexus has thus far been unable to determine why.

Fit and function of the RX series is quite good, however. I just happen to believe that for a four-door SUV, it's significantly underpowered. In our neck of the woods, it's also viewed as primarily "a chick car". This seems to be true, because the overwhelming majority of drivers of the RX's that I see on the road are women. But from the looks of the trouble checklist pertaining to your Mercedes, ANYTHING will probably be an improvement for you.

If you prefer German engineering, you may want to look at the VW Touareg (spelling?), which is essentially a poor man's Porsche Cayenne. The VW has been getting quite a bit of good press, although being new, it doesn't have a track record yet.

And I will never buy another VW because of my Mother's problems with hers, including three new engines, a new gas tank and enough little problems to make his ML look like a perfect car all in 30,000 miles. VW was unwilling to help and unimpressed. Never again. The thought of these yokels selling cars as expensive as the Tauoreg and the Phaeton sickens me.

And the RX330 has more power, and the ML isn't a chick car? ;) All SUVs here are primarily driven by women.

See, theres another view and another horror story from other manufacturers everywhere. You'll find far more positive experiences here than negative on the RX. And as I said, the hubub over these transmission oddities will pass just like they did on the ES forum. There for a few months it was "Lets kill Lexus!" then the couple people with problems left with frustration and it hasn't been mentioned since.

I share your pain. I had an ML320. The service record was about six inches thick by the time I trade it in for pennies. If you can wait i will wait a little bit longer before you buy the RX330. The one I have some early production problem like windshield rattle and a very faint engine rattle when the RX330 is under extreme load. I don't think you'll experince these problems if you wait a little bit longer. I had 3 toyotas and they were extremley reliable. One of the Toyota was a sienna which was a first month production and it too had a windshield rattle from day one. Six years later the Sienna is still running strong. They never fix the rattle unfortunately. I would have waited if the ML hadn't die on me three times on the highway.

Of course there are other horror stories with other brands of vehicles, Steve. Always have been and always will be. Issues get resolved and customers stay loyal when manufacturers admit and address them promptly, therefore minimizing the pain, suffering, and hassle factor. I've found GM to be poor at doing this. I've also found Jeep and Dodge to be good at doing this. I just wish that Lexus would step up to the plate on a national scale with their transmission problems.

Sorry to hear about your mother's VW experiences. Sounds as if you feel about VW the same way I feel about Lexus. And we each have our own justifications for feeling the way we do.

I Personally would never buy another VW product, but I realize that my experience is not the norm, and that the majority of people have great experiences with their VWs.

I dont know what more Lexus can do. They've extended the warranty on the transmission. Have come out with several reprogrammed ECUs, they put a brand new one in your vehicle. I dont see what else they can do. The V6 has a problem with oil sludging that only happens when customers dont change their oil often enough, yet Lexus STILL extended the warranty on the engine and will pay to have the engine replaced if the customer can come up with evidence that oil had been changed YEARLY (not nearly as often as they say it should be changed) I dont see what more Lexus can do...

What Lexus needs to do is to formally acknowledge the problem and to seriously study the cause-and-effect issues that seem to be created by the presence of an electronic throttle. A conventional throttle may very well eliminate the transmission "freeze" that my wife and others have reported experiencing while attempting to pass another vehicle on the highway. But I don't know what the answer is (other than a complete transmission re-engineering) for the many folks including ourselves who experience the herky-jerky transmission tendencies while climbing through the gears upon initial start-up in cold weather.

As I've said several times before and even you agreed with me: a stuttering transmission is simply inexcusable in a vehicle as expensive and supposedly as well-engineered as a Lexus.

I fully agree that its inexcusable, but that doesn't mean that Lexus can do anything about it other than phase it out in their future models. Owners of a $40,000 vehicle should not have to use the throttle like walking on eggshells. Owners of $40,000 Acuras shouldn't have the transmissions leave them stranded either. I'm just saying that the issue with the Lexus isn't nearly what other car owners have to deal with.

You can bet Lexus has done a complete analysis of the situation...

As for the jerky transmission upshifts, I think you're feeling the computer hold the gear when the engine is cold to help faster warm up the engine. This is totally normal and goes away for me within 3-5 miles when the engine is fully warm. This is a deliberate Toyota characteristic.