Cel P0420 Code, Catalytic Converter

1996 ES300, 131,000 miles.

For the past six months or so, my CEL comes on about once per month, stays on for about 2-3 days, then goes off.

Recently, CEL is coming on more frequently and staying on longer.

I took it to my mechanic today - Code is P0420, Catalytic Converter Efficiency. Tested O2 sensors - OK. "Catalytic Converter has no ability to store oxygen on rich side."

They want $2900 (!!) to replace the CC ($2500 part plus tax, 2 hrs labor). They refuse to install an OEM CC.

I see I can buy an OEM CC for 1/10 the price or less, but the mechanic advises they are very unreliable.

I did just pass my emission test last month, so won't need the next test for 23 more months.

I don't want to invest this much in a 12-year old vehicle with 131,000 miles. It otherwise runs great, so I would hate to get rid of it.

I could drive with the CEL on, but it could mask a future problem.

The mechanic warned over time of back pressure, which would require a heavier pedal to accelerate, and reduced gas mileage.

I'm not sure how to proceed, other than knowing I'm not investing $2900. Should I have another shop install an OEM CC, and if so, is there an OEM CC that is recommended? Do nothing? Start shopping for a replacement car?

For the past six months or so, my CEL comes on about once per month, stays on for about 2-3 days, then goes off.

I took it to my mechanic today - Code is P0420, Catalytic Converter Efficiency. Tested O2 sensors - OK. "Catalytic Converter has no ability to store oxygen on rich side."

They want $2900 (!!) to replace the CC ($2500 part plus tax, 2 hrs labor). They refuse to install an OEM CC.

I see I can buy an OEM CC for 1/10 the price or less, but the mechanic advises they are very unreliable.

I did just pass my emission test last month, so won't need the next test for 23 more months.

I don't want to invest this much in a 12-year old vehicle with 131,000 miles. It otherwise runs great, so I would hate to get rid of it.

The mechanic warned over time of back pressure, which would require a heavier pedal to accelerate, and reduced gas mileage.

I'm not sure how to proceed, other than knowing I'm not investing $2900. Should I have another shop install an OEM CC, and if so, is there an OEM CC that is recommended? Do nothing? Start shopping for a replacement car?

Know what, these guys are overcharging you. Just take your car to a reliable muffler shop, and they'll take out your cats and put new ones in for like $ 200.00 period. Whoever pays $ 2900 for a catalytic converter, are they out of their minds? Even the cats on my mercedes ML430 cost only $ 400.00 each on each side and this is because it has 2 cats on each side. Cmon, they want to rip you off. The aftermarket cats are as good as the original ones,they will last you at least 10 years.

hey there if you need a factory one i have a used one in great condtion let me know fastest way to get a hold of me is my email: captainhowdy313@yahoo.com thanks and good luck....adam

hey there if you need a factory one i have a used one in great condtion let me know fastest way to get a hold of me is my email: captainhowdy313@yahoo.com thanks and good luck....adam

you can drive with i on if its just the cat - will kill the environment, but ohhh wellllllllllllllllllllllll....LOL (I myself would not fix it for another 23 months! and thats only if I could not get a fake emissions)

2900$ is stupid. almost any aftermarket one will work...get something off ebay or get a decent 100$ aftermarket one and get someone to weld it in. if they start to feed you bull*BLEEP* about it not being "compatible" - just walk out... They may have to drill a hole to put in the sensor thats all.

you can drive with i on if its just the cat - will kill the environment, but ohhh wellllllllllllllllllllllll....LOL (I myself would not fix it for another 23 months! and thats only if I could not get a fake emissions)

2900$ is stupid. almost any aftermarket one will work...get something off ebay or get a decent 100$ aftermarket one and get someone to weld it in. if they start to feed you bull*BLEEP* about it not being "compatible" - just walk out... They may have to drill a hole to put in the sensor thats all.

ohh and look into your engine to make sure its not one with the engine sludge problem - some older ESs were blowing motors because of this - toyota did a recall i believe...