Key Does Not Manually Lock/unlock Door(s)

sparky51271

A couple of thoughts. If you are like us, you rarely used the actual key, relying instead on the key fob to unlock the car. If so, it is possible that dirt, corrosion or other "stuff" has caused the lock cylinder to jam up. Here is what I would do: take your favorite spray liquid, whether it is WD40, silicone, or other lubricant and stick the little straw-type extension into the lock cyliner. Give a liberal spray, moving the straw in all quadrants. Then, put a heavy drop of oil on your key and insert it into the lock cylinder. You may be able to unstick your lock if that is the problem. I spray all of my lock cylinders with WD40 at least twice a year to preclude such a problem. I started doing this when I had a similar issue with the lock not working properly.

Is this ALL the doors, side and back?

• 2 years later...

A couple of thoughts. If you are like us, you rarely used the actual key, relying instead on the key fob to unlock the car. If so, it is possible that dirt, corrosion or other "stuff" has caused the lock cylinder to jam up. Here is what I would do: take your favorite spray liquid, whether it is WD40, silicone, or other lubricant and stick the little straw-type extension into the lock cyliner. Give a liberal spray, moving the straw in all quadrants. Then, put a heavy drop of oil on your key and insert it into the lock cylinder. You may be able to unstick your lock if that is the problem. I spray all of my lock cylinders with WD40 at least twice a year to preclude such a problem. I started doing this when I had a similar issue with the lock not working properly.

Is this ALL the doors, side and back?

I know this is old, but this didn't work for me. Is there anything else that might work? Mine only has locks on the drivers and passengers side. I don't think they make key holes on the back sides.

Mitch

I know this is old, but this didn't work for me. Is there anything else that might work? Mine only has locks on the drivers and passengers side. I don't think they make key holes on the back sides.

Mitch

Mitch- I think he meant the drivers and passengers (sides) and rear gate (hatch). Have you tried what was posted 2 years ago on all of those 3 doors? Hard to imagine that it wouldn't work on any of them unless the key has worn that much since it was last used in any of the doors (hard to imagine the key would ever wear that much anyway).

Mitch

Mitch- I think he meant the drivers and passengers (sides) and rear gate (hatch). Have you tried what was posted 2 years ago on all of those 3 doors? Hard to imagine that it wouldn't work on any of them unless the key has worn that much since it was last used in any of the doors (hard to imagine the key would ever wear that much anyway).

I tried it on the drivers side and it didn't work, but if I use my valet key it opens just fine.

I tried it on the drivers side and it didn't work, but if I use my valet key it opens just fine

Sure sounds like a key issue, not a lock issue at that rate Mitch. If the valet key works fine, it wouldn't be the lock.

I tried it on the drivers side and it didn't work, but if I use my valet key it opens just fine

Sure sounds like a key issue, not a lock issue at that rate Mitch. If the valet key works fine, it wouldn't be the lock.

Yeah ok, thats what I was thinking. Thanks for your help.