Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

fiveofakind

I stopped by the Lexus dealer here in San Diego & had a chat with a Lexus mechanic.....

Yes, they do use a special tool which they will not lend out nor sell ( I don't understand why they would not sell them --- it would be a cash cow for them )

The DIY way described by the mechanic that he sometimes uses is:

1. take an old drive belt, cut it short ( but to an appropriate length ), loop it around the crankshaft pulley & A/C Compressor pulley only with the two cut ends of the belt ending on the top side of the crankshaft pulley but under the belt.

When you start to bust loose the bolt, the belt will tighten up & lock the cranksahft pulley & A/C pulley tight & not move....

Think about it...it makes sense.....

I have not tried this method but would like to here the results if anyone has tried it.....

OR

2. A 24" crescent chain wrench & an old piece of drive belt cut to length to wrap the crankshaft pulley...

One of these two methods has to be the best method in lieu of having the SST tool that the dealer uses or the bump starter method....

What is everyones opinion ?????