Timing Belt / Water Pump Replacement

Hi all!! I have a question regarding timing belt/water pump replacement. I just contacted my local toyota dealer inquiring on prices for timing belt/water pump replacement and was quoted for $650.00 parts and labor. Is that a good price? I mean, compared to the local Lexus dealer, that's 50% off. The toyota technician made mention that he may need my VIN because they need to contact Lexus to get the water pump. Is that so? Do I need to have an OEM Lexus parts? I thought toyota camry are somewhat interchangeable with lexus es300 parts...Your thoughts are always appreaciated.

Hi all!! I have a question regarding timing belt/water pump replacement. I just contacted my local toyota dealer inquiring on prices for timing belt/water pump replacement and was quoted for $650.00 parts and labor. Is that a good price? I mean, compared to the local Lexus dealer, that's 50% off. The toyota technician made mention that he may need my VIN because they need to contact Lexus to get the water pump. Is that so? Do I need to have an OEM Lexus parts? I thought toyota camry are somewhat interchangeable with lexus es300 parts...Your thoughts are always appreaciated.

I know many will post, but it does not look bad. Ask them IF you even need the water pump. They can check that and most time you are fine. The parts are the same. They might not have it in stock? When I had mine done 3 years ago it was 299 for TB and 200 for WP.

Since they are doing coolant have them throw on drive belt(s) and look at cam/crank seals.

I agree with Mburnicka...that price is good and I would have them look at the water pump before replacing it ad hoc, the actual 90 thousand mile service does not even mention replacing the water pump, although I do see that it would be a good time to do it since they are right there. I would also recommend new belts, have them check your valve cover gaskets for leaks and your cam shaft seals. As far as parts are concerned I thought the Toyota Camry and the ES300 were pretty much identical, I know the haynes manual treats them the same, so maybe they just want to be sure, either way, sounds like your in good shape.

Consider yourself lucky, I spent $1600 at the lexus dealership for my 90k service and some incidentals.

I agree with Mburnicka...that price is good and I would have them look at the water pump before replacing it ad hoc, the actual 90 thousand mile service does not even mention replacing the water pump, although I do see that it would be a good time to do it since they are right there. I would also recommend new belts, have them check your valve cover gaskets for leaks and your cam shaft seals. As far as parts are concerned I thought the Toyota Camry and the ES300 were pretty much identical, I know the haynes manual treats them the same, so maybe they just want to be sure, either way, sounds like your in good shape.

Consider yourself lucky, I spent $1600 at the lexus dealership for my 90k service and some incidentals.

Thanks for all your insights. I just confirmed with my local toyota dealer that the price quote does indeed includes everything, new belts and everything else in between, as mentioned. I do, however, agree to both of you regarding the WP. I will have them check it if it needs replacement. If the WP does not need to be replaced, I would rather divert the cost on having them possibly check my valve cover gasket. Small amounts of oil have been gathering around the valve cover. I have tightened the front VC, but not the back. It seems abit involved and difficult to get to with all the plumbing I have to contend with. Otherwise, the car has served us well. Thanks again.

Thanks for all your insights. I just confirmed with my local toyota dealer that the price quote does indeed includes everything, new belts and everything else in between, as mentioned. I do, however, agree to both of you regarding the WP. I will have them check it if it needs replacement. If the WP does not need to be replaced, I would rather divert the cost on having them possibly check my valve cover gasket. Small amounts of oil have been gathering around the valve cover. I have tightened the front VC, but not the back. It seems abit involved and difficult to get to with all the plumbing I have to contend with. Otherwise, the car has served us well. Thanks again.

In my experience with dealerships in the past, they will often charge separate labor costs for WP and timing belt replacement. This is a ripoff, since the T-belt has to come off to get to the water pump anyway. Many mechanic shops will charge you to put a new water pump on and throw on a new T-belt for parts cost. I'd try calling around to some shops, preferably those who specialize or have experience in imports, and get an estimate.

Changing the water pump is always a good idea, because if it does start to leak, you'll wish you had it done, and that tow bill and future repair costs will far outweigh the cost of getting it done ahead of time. (not to mention its right there when the timing belt is changed)

God bless.

Yup, and the problem is you can argue all day with them (dealers) on it. I found the low-cost Lexus dealer and that was the best avenue for me. Is it right, no but neither is the labor rate books too. Lexus I think in general is a total ripoff but people love them. They should be nice to you (customer) for $130 for an oil change or the "checks" they do! But if you have no clue on cars, it is well worth it.

The original posters price is damn good if you ask me. I also agree IF the WP breaks but after talking with other lexus owners and the Lexus dealer at 80 to 100K replacing a WP is throwing money away.

Yup, and the problem is you can argue all day with them (dealers) on it. I found the low-cost Lexus dealer and that was the best avenue for me. Is it right, no but neither is the labor rate books too. Lexus I think in general is a total ripoff but people love them. They should be nice to you (customer) for $130 for an oil change or the "checks" they do! But if you have no clue on cars, it is well worth it.

The original posters price is damn good if you ask me. I also agree IF the WP breaks but after talking with other lexus owners and the Lexus dealer at 80 to 100K replacing a WP is throwing money away.

Yeah its definitely a good price, especially so for a dealer. I'm a freak when it comes to changing water pumps, i've had so many spring leaks on me its not even funny. Peace.