Cabin Filter Was Filthy

I buy mine from the dealer, since the aftermarket ones I examined were very lacking, qualitywise.

The front of your RX has a cold air intake slot built-in from the factory. That slot allows cold outside air to be ingested by the engine's intake - a definite power advantage, since colder air is more dense, which means more air molecules can be crammed into the combustion chamber. When you open your hood, you'll see where this cold air path leads - straight to the filter. It is very easy to change. I'll be changing mine, shortly and can take a picture or two.

dave

I am going to check it out. thanks a lot for the help. Being a woman every mechanic in the world wants to charge you hefty fee just to look at my car. If you can post the pictures it would be great.

I have not seen all of the brands I listed above but of those I have seen they appear to be very similar in quality to OEM. They are available from www.rockauto.com among others.

NAPA also has the WIX brand.

Tom

The cabin filter I saw was made by Fram. The foam looked like it was deteriorating (Small pieces could be seen inside the bag). I have not seen any others but will check with NAPA, this weekend.

I buy mine from the dealer, since the aftermarket ones I examined were very lacking, qualitywise.

The front of your RX has a cold air intake slot built-in from the factory. That slot allows cold outside air to be ingested by the engine's intake - a definite power advantage, since colder air is more dense, which means more air molecules can be crammed into the combustion chamber. When you open your hood, you'll see where this cold air path leads - straight to the filter. It is very easy to change. I'll be changing mine, shortly and can take a picture or two.

dave

I am going to check it out. thanks a lot for the help. Being a woman every mechanic in the world wants to charge you hefty fee just to look at my car. If you can post the pictures it would be great.

EDV, this filter is an easy DIY item, here is a link to an old post of mine on the subject...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry283363

I get them at NAPA for $15-$20 and they work fine, you just need to change them often because they are so small.

One thing I've noticed that has a HUGE affect on how often these need to be changed is the amount of time you run with the RECIRCULATE on. If you always drive with the fresh outside air, like I used to, then you go thru filters very fast.

Now, I just leave it on RECIRULATE and open the windows to let in fresh air when I feel the need.

Also make sure to use RECIRCULATE whenever you drive thru one of those no-touch carwashes at the gas station... your vent will pull in all the wet soapy air and ruin your new cabin filter... trust me, I know <_<