Steering Gear (rack) Removal

Don B

We have a 96 LS 400 with almost 250K babied miles. Approximately 6 months ago the steering started to exhibit signs of pressure control valve filter blockage (heavy and unresponsive steering) for which I removed the valve and cleaned the filter as I have done in the past. As I was going through this process I noticed leaking/seeping from around the rack housing, specifically where the control valve housing mates to the rack housing. After reviewing numerous posts here on the subject I was optimistic that the relief in system pressure resulting from the now clean filter might stop the leak. Well, although my efforts have brought the steering back to new car feel, my hopeful thinking has only prolonged the inevitable. I have ordered a rack seal kit from Iron Toad and plan to rebuild/re-seal the rack once it arrives.

My question is concerning the steering rack (gear) removal procedure. The manual instructions indicate that the steering pad and steering wheel must be removed prior to disconnecting and removing the rack. Looking for guidance on whether these items actually need to be removed or is this an over site on the part of the publisher.

My question is concerning the steering rack (gear) removal procedure. The manual instructions indicate that the steering pad and steering wheel must be removed prior to disconnecting and removing the rack. Looking for guidance on whether these items actually need to be removed or is this an over site on the part of the publisher.
You don't have to remove the steering wheel. I changed my rack a few months back (it was getting sloppy most likely due to 300k+ miles. Replaced with a boneyard rack from a '96 with 60k miles. What a huge difference it made!), and I didn't remove/disconnect anything other than the power steering lines, the steering knuckle, mounting brackets, and tie rod ends. I'm a big fan of changing out some parts "while I'm in there." Here are some PNs for the rack grommets and tie rod end:

LH Tie rod end: 45470-49015 $58.55 (don't know the RH side since nc211 gave me an extra tie rod he had in his garage.)

Grommet: 45516-50020 $20.58

Grommet: 45517-50020 $19.81

This was done very last minute, so I had to buy the parts from Lexus of New Orleans. I'm sure you could do better ($$$) online.

You don't have to remove the steering wheel. I changed my rack a few months back (it was getting sloppy most likely due to 300k+ miles. Replaced with a boneyard rack from a '96 with 60k miles. What a huge difference it made!), and I didn't remove/disconnect anything other than the power steering lines, the steering knuckle, mounting brackets, and tie rod ends. I'm a big fan of changing out some parts "while I'm in there." Here are some PNs for the rack grommets and tie rod end:

LH Tie rod end: 45470-49015 $58.55 (don't know the RH side since nc211 gave me an extra tie rod he had in his garage.)

Grommet: 45516-50020 $20.58

Grommet: 45517-50020 $19.81

This was done very last minute, so I had to buy the parts from Lexus of New Orleans. I'm sure you could do better ($$$) online.

Thanks Blake for the information and advise on the grommets and tie rod ends. With this many miles on the car I will definitely be including these parts in the project.