Seats Hurt

We just bought a new 460. The front driver seat has an adjustment that allows the seat bottom to slide in and out. This is supposed to fit the length of your legs better. It leaves a gap at junction where the bottom seat fits the upright back. This results in an unsupported space at your lower back and a back ache. Normal seats that are fixed usually have the bottom cushion curve up into the back.

The seat has heaters and AC built in but is very uncomfortable. The sides also have huge bosters on the edges compared to our older LS 400. These dig in to the sides of your hips. Almost like sitting on top of a U shaped seat with no bottom. Most uncomfortable.

I asked the dealer if they had any complaints and got the usual Toyota stare. Duh. Has anyone added Memory foam or a fix to this problem?

I saw a note about a rough ride complaint by some owners. Our 460 is a lot tighter then our LS400. Thats ok with us, handles a lot better. Dealer did make a comment that the tires make a big difference in ride. They are low profile and large diameter and that is just looking for ride problems. Maybe hot looking but a poor design imho for a lux car..

The seat thing has to be fixed but since it has air bags built in I don't know where to start.

We just bought a new 460. The front driver seat has an adjustment that allows the seat bottom to slide in and out. This is supposed to fit the length of your legs better. It leaves a gap at junction where the bottom seat fits the upright back. This results in an unsupported space at your lower back and a back ache. Normal seats that are fixed usually have the bottom cushion curve up into the back.

The seat has heaters and AC built in but is very uncomfortable. The sides also have huge bosters on the edges compared to our older LS 400. These dig in to the sides of your hips. Almost like sitting on top of a U shaped seat with no bottom. Most uncomfortable.

I asked the dealer if they had any complaints and got the usual Toyota stare. Duh. Has anyone added Memory foam or a fix to this problem?

I saw a note about a rough ride complaint by some owners. Our 460 is a lot tighter then our LS400. Thats ok with us, handles a lot better. Dealer did make a comment that the tires make a big difference in ride. They are low profile and large diameter and that is just looking for ride problems. Maybe hot looking but a poor design imho for a lux car..

The seat thing has to be fixed but since it has air bags built in I don't know where to start.

It is true, the seats are very different from previous generations of LS. Once you get the seat position right, you'll find these seats more supportive than the 400 or 430. The extra support helps to reduce neck and back pain on long road trips.

Unless your "bottom" is too wide for the seat, you should be able to adjust any part of the seat until you get comfortable. It took me over two weeks to find my "sweet spot." Try several adjustments and save each different one to a different "save settings" button on your door. Then drive the car for several days on each setting to find which parts of the seat needs to be readjusted.

As far as tire and wheel size, it shouldn't make any difference to your seat comfort -- only to "road feel" and your ego.

Good Luck and "hang in there" LOL

Have not noticed low profile and large diameter but the opposite. What is your weight and height, if I may ask. I'm 6.0 and 186 and find the car much more comfortable than my 400's or 430.

========================================================

I agree the car is a lot nicer then the LS400 we owned. My wife claims the older one had better visability. Just nit picking here.

I'm about 6' and 190 lbs. Have a bad back, but that's not unusual. I took some measurements. The LS460 seat is about 20W overall. The center portion is only about 11" wide with the boosters about 4.5" wide on each side. The seat has a taper so the dim are at the back -center.

Our Highlander seat is 21" wide and the center part is 12" wide. That 1" extra makes or breaks the deal. I can drive the Highlander all day with no back ache. not so with the 460. The boosters are about 1" higher in the 460 also.

I don't think anyone but a child has a rear only 11 wide. What were they thinking?