Running Temp

Hey Lexusnoids!

Newbie here. Just got a a 1999 GS 400 with 79,000 on her/him? : :D Did the usual new owner stuff: new tires,Mich Pilots Exaltas, fluids,etc. Orginal owner ,an older guy, didn't seem to be real good at fluid changes as the tranny had very dark and actually had Black sludge at the bottom of the pan that kinda worried my tranny guy. No metal shavings though to speak of. But my question is where does your car 's temp needle usually ride at? Mine is straight across even between high and low even though temp outside has been cool. Well cool for So Cal ,50's-60's. Don't really know what's normal and with the tranny fluid looking as if it might have gotten a bit hot now and then I'm concerned... Whadda all think??

Thanks,

Kurt In Sunny San Diego

Hey Lexusnoids!

Newbie here. Just got a a 1999 GS 400 with 79,000 on her/him? : :D Did the usual new owner stuff: new tires,Mich Pilots Exaltas, fluids,etc. Orginal owner ,an older guy, didn't seem to be real good at fluid changes as the tranny had very dark and actually had Black sludge at the bottom of the pan that kinda worried my tranny guy. No metal shavings though to speak of. But my question is where does your car 's temp needle usually ride at? Mine is straight across even between high and low even though temp outside has been cool. Well cool for So Cal ,50's-60's. Don't really know what's normal and with the tranny fluid looking as if it might have gotten a bit hot now and then I'm concerned... Whadda all think??

Thanks,

Kurt In Sunny San Diego

I bought mine with 75K. I have only drained and refilled the trans about 8 times now trying to get it clean. I did not take the pan off as I did this with my Tundra with 80K on It goes in a nice cherry red and come out a nice dark red.

My temp gage is right set on top of the middle mark, it never moves. Im in SC and we have 105 deg days it never moves.

Make sure you put the Toyota type IV fluid in your trans.

BP

Hey Lexusnoids!

Thanks,

Kurt In Sunny San Diego

I bought mine with 75K. I have only drained and refilled the trans about 8 times now trying to get it clean. I did not take the pan off as I did this with my Tundra with 80K on It goes in a nice cherry red and come out a nice dark red.

My temp gage is right set on top of the middle mark, it never moves. Im in SC and we have 105 deg days it never moves.

Make sure you put the Toyota type IV fluid in your trans.

BP

BP,

You may want to have the pan pulled off. No big deal to grind off old glue and ise new gasket. In bottom of the pan was where the thick jet black tranny fluid lay :(