Buying 2001 Rx 300

biocpu

Questions like this repat like spam - so apologize in advance to add another of this question. I am looking into buying:

RX300, 2001, 2nd owner, private sale, 96k miles in California (not Michigan chill, not Arizona heat), 2wd.

Are there anythings I need to check? I did research on RX300 in 2006 and did search this forum again. Issues seem to be:

1) tranny problem. Is 2001 RX free from this issue? If not, should I check if the owners drain/change the ATF every 30k miles? What are the signs of ominous tranny failure? If it failed, would it have done already at 80k miles - that is to say, if this car has not had the tranny problem until 97k, is this car not going to have the problem in the future?

2) sludge problem. Is 2001 again free from this issue? If not, should I let a mechanic to open valve cover and look into?

3) estimates on repair cost. For this model, at this mileage, what would be the annual expenses on repair?

4) I am expecting trouble-free Lexus (I will do my own share of scheduled maintenance after purchase). Would this 97k RX meet my expectation or should I stay away?

5) in the future I am planning to move to a state with only Toyota dealer, not Lexus. Can Toyota do most of services for Lexus?

6) any other issues I should pay attention?

I am going to have a mechanic check the car. Can anyone recommend a Lexus indep mechanic in San Fran East Bay who can perform the check?

I have Honda and Audi, but have never had Toyota or Lexus, so am a dummy.

Thanks!

First, there are very few places in Montana where I would trust my life to a FWD. Trusting a RWD car years ago was bad enough.

Yes, the 2001 engine is subject to the sludge issue/warranty.

And yes again, the 2001 RX300 has the problem of having burned ATF at as little as 40,000 miles. The good news is that there seem to be few or no reports of premature transaxle failures as a result. On the other hand I have a 2001 AWD RX300 w/70,000 miles and I will not at all be surprised if the transaxle fails before 100,000 miles.

The climate control in the RX300, as do all HVAC systems designed by NipponDenso, Denso US, has some unusual "quirks" which I would call design flaws. Some of these can be addressed, but less than adequately overall, via having the dealer set some of the c-best options to opposite the factory defaults.

Google for:

wwest denso demist

Montana...wintertime...HMMMMM......

JEEP

Seriously, if you do not live inside an urban area*** in MT then I would look for a TRUE 4WD/4X4 such as the 4runner. Were it not of asian manufacture and therefore probably with, more likely than not, a FLAWED Denso HVAC design which would undoubtedly prove to be even more problematic in MT I would suggest the Acura RDX or MDX with the SH-AWD system. So upscale wise for AWD, TRUE AWD, you are probably left with the BMW X3 or X5 or one of the Infiniti SUV offerings.

Technological repairs in MT..................DIY.

Last time I checked our old 1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited is still going strong, doing STELLAR duty, on a cattle and wheat ranch in north central MT.

*** That probably can be narrowed down to within a few miles of the capital building in Helena.