Phone System Is Beeping....

92ls forhundo

hi there i have a 92 ls 400 with a nakamichi and the lexus phone system, for like a week now when the car is turned off the phone system beeps once every ten seconds, i tried pulling the 15 amp fuse for the phone but than my whole radio amp was gone...!!

arrrgh, what can i do to disable this once and for all, i dont have or have ever had the actual cell phone so this system has no use for me...

thanks in advance...

p.s. does anyone know if the stock pioneer/nak speakers are still available in the aftermarket?

Unplug the phone handset by doing some minor disassembly of the center console and unplugging it from the connector under the vent you see when you raise the armrest. Unplug the phone system ECU in the trunk. After unplugging the ECU in the trunk there may or may not be two larger connectors that plug into each other. It is not a good idea to cut any of the wires since that can cause other problems.

All this can be done in under 10 minutes.

Unplug the phone handset by doing some minor disassembly of the center console and unplugging it from the connector under the vent you see when you raise the armrest. Unplug the phone system ECU in the trunk. After unplugging the ECU in the trunk there may or may not be two larger connectors that plug into each other. It is not a good idea to cut any of the wires since that can cause other problems.

All this can be done in under 10 minutes.

yes thank you, i did eventually do just that, at least in the trunk ecu...why is that locked with a key anyway, and what "key" unlocks that?

however i didnt plug anything back into eachother, will this make a difference or just make the wires not be open ended?

on a similar note, my stock antenna died quite some time ago, and i have a rather long autozone cheapie in there as a replacement, but my am and to a lesser degree fm reception is just !Removed! awful, by just plugging the cheapie into the antenna coax, am i bypassing an important grounding circuit that would otherwise give me decent or better reception?

does anyone know?....i did have a ground wire run to the chassis for awhile and while that helped reception,it really just made for rather loud 8khz loop....

i think i also here atlernator hash i the signal as well, isnt there some sort of shunt that can be added to that?

thanks in advance.

On a 98-00 LS like I have there is a male and female connector that must be plugged together after unplugging them from the trunk mounted phone ECU but I don't know if this is the case on the early phone systems. There are not many components in the dealer installed phone system - the phone control on the steering wheel, the handset and cradle, the trunk mounted phone ECU and, on the early LS, the antenna stuck on the outside of the back window. It is not necessary to remove the phone control on the steering wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

While I've found plenty of good help on this forum, this is my first chance to add something.

I have a 91 LS400 with a beeping "phone" (removed from the console long ago!), so I followed the recommendations here to solve the problem. It seemed that the ECU was the cause of the problem. I disconnected the RS232 type connector and the molex connector on the ECU and the radio came on, but the left rear speaker didn't work. If I tried eliminating this piece of harness and plugging the connections together, the radio stopped again.

I'll spare the details about the 4lb sledge and the locked ECU, but I persuaded it apart and tried with just the speaker relay--no luck. Looking at the schematic, I decided that I didn't care why the mute line was active so I cut the gray-with-black wire on the female side of the molex connector and plugged them together (without the intermediate harness). Viola!

The ECU is located on the driver side behind and below the tool kit. The problem started when the weather got wet, so I'm assuming I have a short or bad relay somewhere in the phone wiring, but right now I don't care where it is. Mine is a Pioneer system, but I'm about to check my wife's '90 with a Nakamichi and see if I can avoid a "panic" call. :-)

Thanks to all,

Dave