04 Rx330 Engine Pinging/spark Noc

Ryan Coleman

Hello. My 04 RX330 has 106k miles on her. I recently had the big "timing belt" service done - Timing belt, water pump, fluids, etc. I have developed this engine pinging noise that occurs when I attempt to quickly accelerate; have been at idle for a bit and then push the gas pedal; increase gas when approaching an incline. Some folks refer to this noise as "spark knock / noc".

At my recent service I did not change spark plugs. Could this be the problem? I've ran a few tanks of 93octane through - it helped; but didn't fix problem.

Thanks for any help,

-Ryan

Hello. My 04 RX330 has 106k miles on her. I recently had the big "timing belt" service done - Timing belt, water pump, fluids, etc. I have developed this engine pinging noise that occurs when I attempt to quickly accelerate; have been at idle for a bit and then push the gas pedal; increase gas when approaching an incline. Some folks refer to this noise as "spark knock / noc".

At my recent service I did not change spark plugs. Could this be the problem? I've ran a few tanks of 93octane through - it helped; but didn't fix problem.

Thanks for any help,

-Ryan

Your are correct, that "knock' is caused by the ignition timing being too far advanced. The question is why? Either the knock sensor is not working/ disconnected or the timing is so far advanced that the sensor cannot !Removed! it enough to stop the pinging. Take it straight back to who ever did the timing belt and have them fix it before some real damage is done.

Ryan,

Most likely you are experiencing a knock in the engine. GET THIS TAKEN CARE OF IMMEDIATELY. Depending upon how bad the timing is off (which can be caused by a variety of things), you can cause sever damage to the engine and intake components. Take it back and have them re-do the timing belt, and DO NOT DRIVE IT OFF THERE LOT until you are sure the job is done correctly.

Thanks for the reply - I failed to mention one very important detail: The spark knocking sounds were occuring prior to my timing belt service. Perhaps I have an issue with the knock sensors? If so - is this something I can research or should I take it to a dealer?