Buying A Sc300\400, Questions

Evangelo2

Hello All,

First time posting here. I am currently looking at a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned 99 SC300 with 49000 miles on it for 23000. originally I wanted a SC400. Is the performance difference that huge? I am willing ot modify exhaust and intake on the 300 but thats about it so I don't foresee any huge power modifications.

Also, how good are these cars in the winter. I'm in NY and have heard some bad things about SC's in the snow even with All Seasons on them? Anything I should keep in minf or look out for in a 99 SC300? Thanks for any advice. Look forward to joining your community.

-Evangelo2

All season tires aren't designed for winter. They are designed for states where rain doubles in "winter" months, not actual snow. If you'll notice most all season tire commercials have the car driving on a road where there's snow everywhere except on the road. Snow tires are designed for the exit of snow from the tread pattern, and can handle snow being packed into them. They are also soft, and can give to packed down snow patterns on a road. If you lived in a state where there was snow, but it didn't stick to the roads you would be alright with all season tires, if you have salt trucks there (which I know you do) all season tires aren't going to do anything for you.

With that said, I haven't driven mine in the snow so I honestly can't tell you. But, I drove a 300ZX TT for a few weeks in the snow, and with snow tires on it and weight in the back the car was fine. You can't drive 40 mph, but you shouldn't anyways. as for performance between the 400 and 300, I've never driven a 400, I couldn't tell you.

I live in DC area so you and I have about the same amount of snow but better roads here :lol: most of the cars before 80’s were rwd cars and we all got around then. Newer rwd cars are much better in a sense they have more equal weight distribution, ABS, LSD, traction control, and better tires. Neither the fwd nor rwd will be any good on snow if the tires are bad. I figure if you live in NYC you can’t really drive after a large snow storm anyways with the banks of snow on the side of the street. It may be a good idea to invest in snow tires if planning on driving regardless how bad the weather is outside. If you have TRAC it is a big plus since it controls how the gas is feed through the system. TRAC should be in all cars as a standard but its not. In any case, 4 season tire should be sufficient for NYC but recommend snow tires. Difference between 300 and 400 is the thrust of 8 is more evident than a 6 in stock form. Performance and efficiency difference are minimal. If you are buying a used car, price of a 400 is only little more than a 300. There were large difference as new car but in a use car market the difference is minimal.