Washing The Car

Hello everybody,

I just bought the new lexus GS350 and drove it from Dallas to Little Rock. To get all the bugs off the front I was the car I washed it after only having it for one day. I used McGuires soap and sheepskin mitt to clean. Then I used a Shammy to dry it off. After drying it seems there are swirl marks on the car is there anything I can do to get this removed. HELP!!!!

Abe :cries:

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everybody,

I just bought the new lexus GS350 and drove it from Dallas to Little Rock. To get all the bugs off the front I was the car I washed it after only having it for one day. I used McGuires soap and sheepskin mitt to clean. Then I used a Shammy to dry it off. After drying it seems there are swirl marks on the car is there anything I can do to get this removed. HELP!!!!

Abe :cries:

You probably have a dark colored car. I have a black one and swirl marks are inevitable. You can only really see the marks in direct sunlight. I've always had it hand washed and it still has the marks. The only way to get them out is to use a fine compound, then a very good wax. Unfortunately they will keep coming back and regular compounding will wear down the finish. The best thing is to use a very good wax by hand. It will give you the best finish. I know that there are also products that create a permanent thin coating on the car as a protectant. You'll have to research that one. I think 3M makes it.

Swirling is caused by poor materials and/or poor technique, 100% of the time. If you wash properly it is absolutely possible to have a black or other dark colored car that is 90% swirl free all the time. Somewhere in your wash is something thats swirling the paint.

Check into the detailing forum, plenty of info there about proper washing techniques and products.