My Headlights Both Just Went Out

Tymboo

OK! I was driving home last night and, my headlights just shut off then the battery light, and the ABS light came on in my dash. The next day I opened the hood to replace my battery and, one of the caps on top of the battery was off, and there was no water in the battery.

I replaced the old battery witch was registering 3volts with a new one. The car started up fine, but my headlights are still not working. I still see the battery warning light even though this is a new battery. I then disconnected the negative on the battery to check the alternator. The car just died. I just replaced the alternator about a year ago, but would this cause my headlights not to work. I checked the fuses, there all fine. Can any one help!!! Why would my high beams work, and not my headlights.

If you unhook the negative to the battery and your car shuts off, it's most likely your alternator. I changed my alternator about a 1 1/2 yrs ago too and I needed to replace it. First off though you need to fix your power steering leak, because that's probably what's causing your alternator to blow out. Just a thought though because it is common on the SC. Check to see if your alternator is covered in steering fluid.