Mode Change Cancels Auto Setting?

JustJim

New owner of a 2004 RX330 and confused about something. Dealer suggested on test drive that I set climate control to Auto and just set the temperature(s). (I understand from other posts that the number on the display is not really degrees Fahrenheit but just a number.)

When I switch it to Auto mode, I see the blower is blowing just at my feet. I'd like to switch it to blow both on face and feet but, when I use the Mode button to change this, Auto switches off. When I press the Auto button, my manual setting for the blower changes back to blow just on my feet.

I've checked the manual -- and I have to say that whoever translated it didn't do a really great job -- but it looks like I *should* be able to override Mode settings and keep the system in Auto.

Am I misreading this?

I do switch the AC off in Auto mode -- it's gotten a bit chilly here in NC -- and that doesn't switch Auto off. But the blower change has me confused.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Jim,

Anytime you change to a manual setting or preference, you will automatically turn off the Auto mode. If I switch from Dash Vents to Floor, the Auto setting will turn off. Your temp will continue to regulate itself according to cabin temp etc, but you will need to adjust which vent the air blows out of and at what speed. The system is designed to choose what vent and what temperature and what speed the fan is blowing when on Auto. Anytime you change one of these settigns, you override the system and it will go with whatever settigns you choose.