Breaking Issue '97 Es300

as97es

I just had the brakes on all four wheels redone (brand new rotors and brake pads). When I'm braking at around 15mph, everything works perfectly and the breaking feels smooth and safe. However, between 20 and 60 mph, the front of the car (specifically the steering wheel), vibrates/shakes fairly noticeably. Once I slow to a lower speed though, its fine. What could the problem be, considering I already had significant brake work done?

I just had the brakes on all four wheels redone (brand new rotors and brake pads). When I'm braking at around 15mph, everything works perfectly and the breaking feels smooth and safe. However, between 20 and 60 mph, the front of the car (specifically the steering wheel), vibrates/shakes fairly noticeably. Once I slow to a lower speed though, its fine. What could the problem be, considering I already had significant brake work done?

Sounds like the rotors need to be turned. Is the effect greater when braking while going downhill? I would demand that whoever did the brake job make it right.

Strange.

The exact same wording was used on a thread, across the street, on another forum.

Here is my response (to that thread), verbatim:

Things to check:

1. Are the lugnuts tight? On cars with alloy wheels, the lugnuts should be re-torqued after 50-200 miles.

2. Did you get the wheels balanced when the brake job was done?

3. IF not, the repair shop may have knocked off one or more of the wheel weights. (Don't ask me how I know about this!)

4. The rotors could be warped, but, I doubt this. IF the repair shop 'turned' the rotors, they should be in good shape.

The ultimate bottom line is. . . . Take the car back to the shop and have them take a look at what's causing the 'shimmy'.

I'll add to that, that IF the tires were rotated when the work was done, you could have a tire out of balance (and didn't know it) until now.