Catalytic Converter Replacement

Bassknob

1st, thanks to all who respond to board topics. I have found many answers on the forum. Now to my question/problem. Had a faulty Y-pipe on my 98 ES300. Common problem with the flex portion. Friend ordered the Walker Cat Pipe but that wouldnt fit due to CA Emissions. I understand there is a converter pipe available, but it still doesnt look right. Ended up ordering the Eastern Catalytic model.

When removing the old pipe, one of the mounting studs snapped and had to be removed. I have searched all online parts suppliers, but cant find these anywhere. Maybe I am not naming the part right? I am looking for the studs/nuts that connect the pipe flanges to the exhaust outlet on the engine. I would also replace the connecting bolts (between the rear flange and the muffler flange) but would guess that these are available at a hardware store.

Any help on part ID or specs would be helpful.

1st, thanks to all who respond to board topics. I have found many answers on the forum. Now to my question/problem. Had a faulty Y-pipe on my 98 ES300. Common problem with the flex portion. Friend ordered the Walker Cat Pipe but that wouldnt fit due to CA Emissions. I understand there is a converter pipe available, but it still doesnt look right. Ended up ordering the Eastern Catalytic model.

When removing the old pipe, one of the mounting studs snapped and had to be removed. I have searched all online parts suppliers, but cant find these anywhere. Maybe I am not naming the part right? I am looking for the studs/nuts that connect the pipe flanges to the exhaust outlet on the engine. I would also replace the connecting bolts (between the rear flange and the muffler flange) but would guess that these are available at a hardware store.

Gonna try a bump here. Part is still supposedly being shipped, but i have no info on the mounting studs. Am using a friend for install and need to supply all parts for job.

Just a thought. . . . . .

Have you tried to get the studs from a NAPA Parts supplier, or from Pep Boys???

Surely, the exhaust manifold studs would be available!??!?!?!?!?

I don't think that Toyota Motor Corp. would have put a totally 'whacked out' (read as non-standard) stud on the Lexus.

Are the parts you're looking for actually a 'stud' (with nut) or, is it a bolt, and that broke???

As a last resort, try a Lexus dealer.

One thing that I learned as a youngster doing backyard mechanic work (putting on headers). . . . Kano-Kroil or Aero-Kroil.

Spray the nuts and/or bolts liberally with this stuff and let it sit (as long as possible) A day is not un-reasonable!. Re-spray at least one more time and let it sit about 15 minutes.

Re-spray and loosen the bolts/nuts/whatever. "Kroil" eats the rust and penetrates like nothing else that I've used.

And no. . . I don't work for them, or have any financial interest in them, except for the fact that I spend my finances on the product!

(Makes a good bore solvent on your firearms, too!)

:whistles:

• 2 months later...

Hi, did you get this resolved. I have a 1997 car and am looking for a Cat with flex. I'm not able to find one that would fit my CA emissions car. any guidance from you would be helpful as I saw an Eastern Catalytic on the web but for 1998 models only.

Thanks