Type Of Gas?

lws1

Can get away with using anything less than premium gas in my 2002 IS300? I put the Chevron Techtron additive in every once in a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a nonmechanic and don't understand what the difference is. I understand premium is for higher performance cars... Thanks!

The IS has a high reving engine. Because of this, the combustion chamber is hotter than most conventional cars and a higher octane fuel is needed to reduce pre-ignition. You could use a lower octane, but you may experience a little less horsepower and possibly knocks and pings upon accelleration. That is just my take on basic auto mechanics. I'm sure there will be more posts to follow from others.

because the engine is a higher compression engine you *need* higher octane fuel. the is300 2jz-ge engine is a 10:1 compression ratio, and that's decently high.. it helps squeeze a little more power out of the engine, and ultimately allows for some tinkering around under the hood. you should be fine between the mid-grade and premium-grade gas, just don't dip down to the lowest. i've noticed better gas mileage using 91 octane fuel as opposed to mid-grade. i'm at a high elevation though (7000+ ft) and if i'm not mistaken the lack of oxygen makes the 91 octane overkill a little bit.. but i love my car and it's not that much more expensive.

just stick to shell gas... and the other three "top tier" stations, I forgot what they are.

I'm sure someone else will chime in on this subject who's more knowledgeable than I am haha