Transfer Manifacturer Warranty

ventsyv

Hi guys. I'm looking into buying a 2004 lexus IS300. It has 29K miles on it. I know the manufacturer warranty is 4 years or 50K miles, but I'm not sure if thats transferable ?? Also when does the warranty start ? If I buy it now, would I have warranty through the end of 2008 ??

Also, I noticed the powertrain warranty is 7 years 70K miles. Again, is that transferable and how can I find if the car I'm buying has powertrain warranty ?? Is there a place I can buy extended warranty ?? Is it worth it ? A friend of mine sells extended warranty and he tells me the warranty he sells, has so many exceptions and clauses that most of the time they don't really cover anything !?

Thanks.

Hi guys. I'm looking into buying a 2004 lexus IS300. It has 29K miles on it. I know the manufacturer warranty is 4 years or 50K miles, but I'm not sure if thats transferable ?? Also when does the warranty start ? If I buy it now, would I have warranty through the end of 2008 ??

Also, I noticed the powertrain warranty is 7 years 70K miles. Again, is that transferable and how can I find if the car I'm buying has powertrain warranty ?? Is there a place I can buy extended warranty ?? Is it worth it ? A friend of mine sells extended warranty and he tells me the warranty he sells, has so many exceptions and clauses that most of the time they don't really cover anything !?

Thanks.

The manufacturers warrentee started the day registration was originally issued. So if the car was bought in June of 04, the warrentee expires June of 08. And yes the original warrentee stays with the car no matter how many times it's sold.

Was the car dealer serviced? If so, you can take the car in to service, and they can run the vin number and tell you the service records, and when the warrentee expires and so on. Also, carfax the car. You can do it on line, it's only a few dollars, get the carfax. I buy and sell alot of cars. Get the carfax. Look it over. It will tell you where and when the car was originally purchased. If it was a company car or a private buyer. and if the carfax is clean,( no accidents reported) then you atleast have that out of the way.

Once you buy the car, and you go to the dealership you are going to take the car for regular services, talk to them about which extended warrentee you should get if you want one. They will know who they like to deal with and which ones have the best options for you. There are so many ways for those ext. warrentees to screw you out of paying, I have often wondered if your better off not getting them at all.

if the car checks out... i'd say you're in good hands :) you probably won't even have to worry about anything. these cars are tufffff haha

but it's a good call for sure. i just read an article last month or so in consumer's reports that says that extended warranties on most anything are a scam to get more money out of your pocket, but ultimately that's your call. find that issue if you can... it was worthwhile