Bushings In The Gx470

nc211

For some reason I can't start a new topic in the GX subforum? So, I'll post here and hope it gets moved over...

Since the 4runner and GX470 share a good bit of mechanicals, and I can't get answers from the 4runner site, I thought I'd ask here....

I'm curious what the typical mileage points are for the GX470 for such items as the rear carrier bushings, stabalizer bar bushings, shocks, etc.... You know, the LS treatment type stuff. If one thing I learned from the LS, is not to just start swapping out parts for the heck of it! Man, did I ever spend a ton of money on that 95' LS400.

The 4runner has the ability to swap out just the bushings "thank god", which I think is different from the GX, which requires the entire arm assembly. But, I think the bushings are pretty close in design, not exactly, but pretty close...

I ask, because at 55k on the 4runner, I'm feeling a little bit of a disconnect between the rear and the front, and a very very faint clunk in the rear when I accelerate and hit a dip in the road. Which makes me think the rear carrier bushings are probably wearing a bit.

Thanks Blake! I'm not sure what happened, but I kept getting an authorization error...

Wait, I'm not really familiar with the bushing difference between the 4Runner and GX470, but you are saying that you are kinda experiencing the clunk?? Is your 4Runner a V8 4wd?? Cuz it SHOULDNT happen if it's a V6 2 or 4wd, nor to a V8 2WD..

So far when I left Fresno, my GX didn't feel any signs of disconnect between the front and rear, and that's a 50k miles GX. Idk about other GX owners that have gone waaay past me in mileage, but that was my observation with mine. ;)

I've got the driveshaft clunk at times, the oh so dreaded driveshaft clunk... actually, it's not that bad, just gotta grease the zerks every now and then. I've got the V8 AWD model "why I bought it in a $3.25 a gallon world is beyond me?" :chairshot: Except it's faster than blazin' hell! Which, might be my problem with $3.25 a gallon..... Anyway, I've got a feeling in the back that it's a little loose, beyond what an SUV is. I know the stabalizer bar bushings are a little tired, from it's previous owner in Illinios. I can the effects of 6 months of winter under there. But that carrier arm, or I guess on the 4runner is the lower control arm, is sooo long, and with so much torque in the car, I think those two medium to small size bushings are getting a little loose. The GX I believe has the same long arms in the back as well...