Es Ranks #2 In Upscale Midsize Cars

BretUSN

Hi guys,

I work for U.S.News and I'm out getting some feedback on our new car rankings and reviews site. We have the Lexus ES #2 in our list of Best Upscale Midsize Cars. I'd be interested to know what you guys think of the rank of this or any car on our site. Don't worry, this is not spam, I'll be sticking around this forum in case anyone has any thoughts.

Best Upscale Midsize Cars

Thanks

-Bret

Acura TL has a reliability rating of 7.5, and yet it says "the best reason to own the TL may still be reliability and a low cost of ownership". What gives? And BMW 3 series has reliability rating of 9.3?

How is that number being calculated? I see links to JD Power website. So is it using figures from there? http://www.jdpower.com/autos/bmw/3%20series/2007 If you look at the JD reliability rating on that page, they are all based on first 90-day initial quality study. Is that how BMW got 9.3 and TL got 7.5?

If you are not going to do your own research and testing, then there needs to be more disclosure about how the reliability numbers are calculated, on top of what is on this page. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/methodology/ And the data needs to be broken down much more.

Maybe this type of ranking may appeal to certain group of people, but when all your article says is, "Car and Driver says...", "Cars.com says...", "Motortrend explains...", "IIHS gives...", "Edmunds says that...", I cannot take anything your reviews and ranking say seriously.

Maybe you guys are trying to do what you've done with US News top university/college list, but with cars. I'd say you're off to a real bad start if all you're doing is just aggregating content and giving people extremely dumbed down information.

If you look at Consumer's Report, you will see that the ES350 has been consistently rated as one of the most reliable midsize luxury sedans in the market. If I remember correctly, it received a score of 93 out of 100, while the BMW 3 series received a score of 77. I trust Consumers Report a lot more than some of the sources you quoted. BMW has not been one of the most reliable cars in the market for several years now, in fact, their most expensive line, the 7 series is one of the least reliable luxury vehicles in the market. BMW continues to put all their effort on handling and performance, but at the expense of comfort, luxury, and reliability.

Upon reading the OP a couple of days ago, my first inclination was not to respond at all but I now feel compelled to add my $.02 for whatever it is worth. I simply do not put much faith in any of the mentioned ratings as they are based on a predetermined set of criteria which may not come even close to my thoughts (or any other given customer). Having just purchased our ES350 and driven the new Honda, the Avalon, and the Mercedez C class, these are four distinct automobiles which may appeal to four distinct customers for various, applicable reasons. The Mercedez and the Lexus are as different as black and white. That is not to say that either is superior to the other, only that they are totally different.

If USN wants to rank the Lexus 2nd and the Mercedez 8th, that is really irrevelant to me. Twenty years ago, I would have loved the taut suspension. sport ride of the Mercedez for touring mountain roads and hot rodding around. Today, that is not the case. So, asking a Lexus forum if they agree with the USN rankings is like asking a kid if he likes ice cream. Asking a Merecedez forum the same question would be like pouring gasolene on a lit fire.

Just remember that this opinion and $4 will get you a Starbucks.

Rick