Hard Starting Es300 2002

HeartMan

I am brand new to the Forum. I apologize if this question has already been posted. I looked through many pages of questions and didn't find this one.

I purchased my 2002 ES300 as a dealer demo in December 2003 with 15,000 miles; I now have 44,000 miles. I have owned a number of cars for over 40 years. Unless there was a problem, all of them would crank and start very quickly, both in the morning and throughout the day. From the very beginning, my ES300 regularly, but not always, required a long cranking time in the morning before starting and throughout the day after the engine was warm. I have had it in to Lexus several times since purchasing it to have this checked out. I am always told everything checks out OK.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be? I would love to be able to get into the car and have it start quickly.

Thank you....

Heartman,

I have a 2002 ES300 and it too seems to crank longer than all of my other cars. It isn't problematic, it has always done this and I just assumed thats the way it was made. I love the car and have never had any issues with it. So, while I cannot offer a solution, I can only ask, how long are you talking about. I mean, how long do you have to turn the key and initiate the starter until the car is running? Under 5 seconds? More than 5? I think that information would give us an idea of if you have an issue or not. Currently mine starts under 5 seconds, but still all of my other cars are immediate, <2 seconds, my Lexus however takes her time.

Is this your first Lexus, and how long is long?

I ask because I've found Lexus vehicles crank longer than other manufacturers.

SW03ES and Firewalker:

Thanks for the replies.

This is my first Lexus. I have never timed it; it takes two or three tries at at what seems like 5 seconds each. If I kept cranking only one time, it would be much more than 5 seconds. It just isn't anywhere near as fast starting as every other vehicle I have owned.