Strange Noise - Did Anyone Experience This?

megabuck2

My wife works as a RN and parks 2004 430 with 48K miles outside. When the temperature goes down below 54 and driven about 10 miles, my wife hears a sound that is similar to "2 stainless pots banging together." Loud enough that she hears it with all windows rolled up. When driven over 10 miles, sound vanishes. Of course, we live outside the "noise" zone so I haven't heard. I guess I will park the car outside the garage this weekend and drive and see if I can duplicate the sound.

Have anyone gone through this? If so, did you find a solution to the noise?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:

It sounds to me like two things. A Heat Shield that is loose, or that the lubrication to the valves is not good enough when it is cold. I would do an engine flush to make sure there is no gunk on the engine oil system or you can use Havoline oil in your next oil change since it has a lot of cleaning agents. If your engine is gelling or creating oil deposits the oil flow will be disrupted thus causing problems along the line. Toyota Lexus engines had this problem. You could also use seafoam before the next oil change and will probably do the same effect, follow can instructions if not sure have a mechanic do it, but the Havoline is the easiest thing to do to see if it has an effect. Make sure you have a 10-w30 oil or 5 w 30 oil for the cold temperatures. First I would have the muffler system check, then the Havoline, if none has any effect then the flush at the dealer or a good mechanic. Do not use the Havoline oil for more than one oil change per year.

CPR