Shimmy At Hight Speeds

thank you for your response tom,

Yea I was thinking that, however, there is a slight clunk when I hit a speed bump coming from the right side....passengers say they feel the car shake (from the right) before the wheel does...im guessing strut, wheel balance and alignment need to be done ( pulls the the right).

Thanks tom,

I was thinking about doing the strut myself...having no strut experience, do you think it will be an easier repair? Do the struts come pre-loaded? can I just repair one strut or do I have to do both sides....some shops say you should do both sides and charge an arm and a leg...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks tom,

I was thinking about doing the strut myself...having no strut experience, do you think it will be an easier repair? Do the struts come pre-loaded? can I just repair one strut or do I have to do both sides....some shops say you should do both sides and charge an arm and a leg...

FYI, Just changed both front struts on my 97 and I went with the Monroe EZ Strut. It is a complete unit with insta trak strut, strut mount, boot, spring, everything. Makes the job super easy. $172.00 each at Advance Auto.

I was going to go with the KYB but had to change out the mount so went this way to save time and money so I could do it myself. Hope the Monroe holds up. So far they feel pretty good and the front end noise has gone away.

sweet, any tips as per the repair? :cheers:

If you go with the ez struts you don't need to collapse the spring so basically you will only need your basic tools.

I used a couple of floor jacks, one to jack the car and the other to support the brake rotor assembly after removing the old strut.

Be careful with your brake line and the antilock brake cable. Pay attention to how they are mounted up and how they are routed around the strut.

Also my car does not have the adjustable suspension so if you have that, I have no insight here.

You'll need a 12 and 14mm socket and also a 14mm wrench. You will also need a 4 or either 5mm allen wrench and a 7/8 socket with pull handle.

That's about it. Maybe a mallet to help tap the big bolts out and in.

I did not use a torque wrench I just tightened the heck out of everything.

It was really simple.

Now if you go with the traditional strut then it gets more complicated. Plus, I think in my case I noticed more wear in the strut mount then the strut so you should prepare to replace everything in there. That is strut, strut mount, boot etc. Again that's why I went with the ez strut from Monroe. It's a complete unit.

Good Luck.