Xm Radio

packman

I just purchased a certified 2006 LS430 and have it scheduled to have the factory satellite radio module installed late this week. My question is for those who have the satellite radio.....where is the factory type antenna. I do not want an antenna that looks like an afterthought.

Thanks

Mine is on the rear package shelf (I think that's what they call it), at the rear window. It's not even noticeable. On my last LS it was located on the passenger side dash, where the dash meets the windshield. I've also seen them mounted on the trunks, but I don't like that. XM makes a low profile (smaller) antenna that you can buy (or maybe they offer it when installing). I think you can basically put the antenna wherever you want it. I haven't noticed any impact in signal strength having it in the back window. One word of caution, though. If you have your windows tinted with metallic tint, the metal in the tint may (probably will) interfere with the antenna, if you have the antenna under the tint.

• 3 weeks later...

I put the factory XM kit from Sewell into my 2006 LS 430, but did not install the factory antenna on the trunk as they specify since I hate that location for anything permanent. The 2006 factory kit is an early Pioneer XM radio design, which uses an antenna that is actually dual (two antennas and low noise amps in the single housing). This antenna design is actually better, the later single lead XM antennas have lower gain for the terrestrial repeaters. My problems with the factory Pioneer antenna are that the magnet is not very strong (hence the reason they glue it on the trunk for the factory installation) and that the leads are not long enough for some other mounting options. I initially tried to use two of the single lead newer antennas, but that does not work as the low noise amps in the antenna must be differerent for satellite vs terrestrial repeater. Do not use one of the newer antennas with the Terk (or other) splitter to yield the satellite and terrestrial repeater connections, the signal loss due to the passive splitter makes the performance VERY poor. See the attached link for various XM parts at reasonable prices:

http://www.myradiostore.com/

In paticular, for the antenna I'm using, see part # MRS Catalog No: 225-9763 for $19.99, specs are:

The XMAC219/ MS1 is designed for use with the Delphi SKYFi/ SKYFi2 dual lead car cradle. Now you can replace your original SKYFi car antenna. With both Satellite (gold fakra) and Terrestrial (green fakra) SMB connectors, this antenna receives the best of both worlds.

Features:

Magnetically mounts to your vehicle

20' Cable

Satellite and Terrestrial leads

Specifications: 3.25" L x 2.10" W x 1.5" H

This replacement dual antenna works very well with the LS 430 factory system, I can't hear any difference in the signal quality compared to the factory antenna. The 20' leads are long enough that I normally keep it on the interior shelf near the rear window when in town (almost all major cities have repeaters that make this location OK). The interior shelf location also works fine when driving north outside cities, as the direction to the satellite is then through the rear window. When I'm driving south for a significant distance, when the roof would block the signal path from the satellite, I simply place the antenna on the outside edge of the trunk lid using its much stonger magnet (compared with the factory Pioneer antenna) for a stable mount.

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly think you can replace the factory "jewel box" antenna. Obviously, you'll have to be careful getting it off. The XM receiver is in the trunk, under the side panel on the upper right. To do the factory installation, they cut out part of the original interior panel on the right side and "pop rivet" a cover in place. See attached installation instructions LS430_XM_Radio_Installation.pdf, it is pain to take the trunk interior out if you haven't done it before. Once you see the XM receiver, there are two antenna fitting (different colors) that you squeeze and pull to disconnect. Take a look at the fitting on the replacement antenna to see how they work. Note: the antenna fitting for the very small single wire antenna is not keyed the same as the dual antenna connections - they will go on with a bit of persuasion, but see my warning in the earlier reply. I have since found out that the problem trying to use two small single wire antennas is that the electrical power for both LNAs in the factory and other dual lead antennas comes only through the satellite coax. A some point I may investigate fixing this, but no time right now to do so. Therefore, a small single wire antenna connected to the terrestrial repeater input has no power for its LNA and you are on satellite only (not great in cities). The dual connection replacement antenna I mentioned in the earlier reply is about the same size as the factory antenna (somewhat different shape), but it does have a strong magnet that works well when I have it on the trunk lid.

I don't think there is anything you can do for the text, but someone else may have found something (or simply spent more time with the manual than I did). On my Onkyo receiver at home I can get more digits by hitting the "display" button on the remote a few times to cycle through its options. Therefore, there are additional text characters coming from XM, but it is up to the radio to display them in some form.

One further option would be to remove the useless Lexus Link antenna on the roof and put a dual lead XM antenna up there, but that looks to be a lot of work. However, everything you would need to do is decribed in the repair manual section on Lexus Link, a picture is shown on page 67-4.