Traded My 94 Ls400 For A 2000 Ls400

ROBERT THOMASON

I had an white 94 LS400 with 218k miles on it and decided to upgrade. I am an corporate sales rep for Alltel and put a lot of miles on a car. My 94 ran fine but needed a power steering pump and a new timing belt. Other than that it was in great shape and I had owned it for 3 years nit no problems other than general maint.

I traded for a 2000 LS400 Platinum Edition with 89k miles for my 94 and 13k out the door. Good deal?

The 00 is in awesome shape and was check prior to purchase by a local Lexus dealer. The tec hooked it up to the computer and the car showed no codes in the entire history of the car. It had been hit in the front but the repair was done correctly with no problems. The car over all is in great shape if 10 was new this car rates a strong 7/8. It needs front brakes and I put on two new MXV4 tires. The 90k mile service will need done soon.

Equipment included Nav, and the other Platinum Edition add-ons.

Think I got a decent deal?

post-14342-1191709463_thumb.jpg

post-14342-1191709510_thumb.jpg

post-14342-1191709529_thumb.jpg

post-14342-1191709551_thumb.jpg

post-14342-1191709572_thumb.jpg

post-14342-1191710066_thumb.jpg

The car appears that it was taken care and if the maintenance was kept up its a great car. Looking at edmonds.com comparing the two, you received a fair deal considering trade-in vs. dealer retail. Myself I think the car you bought is beautiful and if you like it you did well. Just my opinion but I really like the 2000 LS.

The car appears that it was taken care and if the maintenance was kept up its a great car. Looking at edmonds.com comparing the two, you received a fair deal considering trade-in vs. dealer retail. Myself I think the car you bought is beautiful and if you like it you did well. Just my opinion but I really like the 2000 LS.

Yes I really like the car. I guess only time will tell if it truley is a good car. If it is as good as my 94LS was then I will be more than happy with my purchase.

WOW,. 77 views and only one comment? Not many opinions on this deal.....

What exactly were you expecting? As long as you are satisfied with the deal you made, that is all that is important. I certainly don't know enough about your previous or "new" LS to comment about the deal.

If you have a specific question about your car, I can try to help since I have a 2000 Platinum LS400 with Nak instead of nav. I've done quite a bit of disassembly of the interior while installing electronic toys so I know a bit about how things are screwed together.

What exactly were you expecting? As long as you are satisfied with the deal you made, that is all that is important. I certainly don't know enough about your previous or "new" LS to comment about the deal.

If you have a specific question about your car, I can try to help since I have a 2000 Platinum LS400 with Nak instead of nav. I've done quite a bit of disassembly of the interior while installing electronic toys so I know a bit about how things are screwed together.

Not really expecting much really, just figured a few guys would chime in about the deal. Yes so far I am very satisfied about the deal, like I said time will be the true test.

What color combo is your car? How long have you had it? How many miles? Any known problems with that year model like the older ones (power stering, dash lights, etc, ?)

Thanks for any info.

Not really expecting much really, just figured a few guys would chime in about the deal. Yes so far I am very satisfied about the deal, like I said time will be the true test.

What color combo is your car? How long have you had it? How many miles? Any known problems with that year model like the older ones (power stering, dash lights, etc, ?)

Thanks for any info.

The info I put in the gallery explains what I have: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=si&img=815

The 2000 LS400 I bought in 2003 was the first used car I had purchased since I bought a used Mercedes 450 SEL in the 1970's. It has been a very enjoyable car and seems completely different from the 1990 LS400 I drove for over 13 years. With low mileage use cars like this available, I doubt if I will be buying any more new cars.

You might want to check to see if all outstanding TSIBs have been applied to your car. It is too late to get them done under warranty but at least you will know where you stand. The most serious TSIBs are about the tilt/telescope of the steering wheel.

My LS400 was manufactured at the end of the 2000 model year and about four months after the start of LS430 production. I'm lucky that most of the fixes were done on my LS at the factory.

The power steering pump issue was of course resolved long before the 2000 model year. Dash and radio lights are apparently still subject to failure - I ran into a guy with a 99 LS about two years ago who just had the LCD in his radio repaired.

I now have about 92,000 miles on my 00 LS. The first non-maintenance item requiring replacement were the lower strut bars at about 88,000 miles -- about the same as on my 90 LS. I drove my 90 LS from 5 to 183000 miles before I sold it and I suspect that my 00 LS will require similar suspension component replacements at similar mileages.

Thanks for any info.

The info I put in the gallery explains what I have: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=si&img=815

The 2000 LS400 I bought in 2003 was the first used car I had purchased since I bought a used Mercedes 450 SEL in the 1970's. It has been a very enjoyable car and seems completely different from the 1990 LS400 I drove for over 13 years. With low mileage use cars like this available, I doubt if I will be buying any more new cars.

You might want to check to see if all outstanding TSIBs have been applied to your car. It is too late to get them done under warranty but at least you will know where you stand. The most serious TSIBs are about the tilt/telescope of the steering wheel.

My LS400 was manufactured at the end of the 2000 model year and about four months after the start of LS430 production. I'm lucky that most of the fixes were done on my LS at the factory.

The power steering pump issue was of course resolved long before the 2000 model year. Dash and radio lights are apparently still subject to failure - I ran into a guy with a 99 LS about two years ago who just had the LCD in his radio repaired.

I now have about 92,000 miles on my 00 LS. The first non-maintenance item requiring replacement were the lower strut bars at about 88,000 miles -- about the same as on my 90 LS. I drove my 90 LS from 5 to 183000 miles before I sold it and I suspect that my 00 LS will require similar suspension component replacements at similar mileages.

Thanks for the info. Great looking car you have.

Damn, that 1990 LS looked superb at 183K miles.

The thing that is amazing about these cars are the timeless design and utility. I really don't see myself driving anything other than an LS at this point.

I agree that buying a brand new one is a rip, especially when you can pick up a low mileage used one for less than half of its "new" price. Even with a used one, one will likely have decent transportation for a long time. I figure that I'll probably be driving the low mileage 96 I bought last year for at least another 8 to 10 years and then buy another one. These are the type of cars that you can buy once every 10-15 years.

Thanks for any info.

I was referring to 1990LS400's post and his gallery with pictures of his 1990 and 2000 LS. His 1990 LS with 183K miles looks virtually new.

And yes, your car looks great as well. I gotta post some pictures of mine.

Its a 2000 not a 1990 car. However it does look great for a 2000. I have had a bunch of people ask when I got my "new car". When I tell them it is a 2000 they say I am lying. LOL