Wiping Seals, Qd Rims, And Paint Questions

I just bought a 2001 ES300 Black Onyx with Black interior and Rosewood package. This is my first Lexus and I'm impressed with the road feel with 81k on the car.

This is my first black car and I've been going to school the last week on this site and autopia learning all that I can to care for the car inside and out. It's a little overwhelming at first, but once I get a handle on the routine, I'll feel a lot more confident on my detailing care of the car.

I have a few questions that I searched on, but I may have overlooked the answers, so forgive the oversight.

1. What is good to use to condition the rubber seals on the doors and trunk? Can I use the Black Magic gel that I got for the tires?

2. What should I use to QD the rims when I QD the car in between washings?

3. The paint looks very good for a 6 year-old car. Some blemishes and chips, but very shiny. One thing that I noticed yesterday, when the sun is hitting the hood, I have these long feather-shaped reflective lines. It's like the reflective sun "burst" extends out and the "arms" of the burst don't have sharp edges. Just wondered what may be causing it and if it is some thing easily addressed with technique and/or product. The used car dealer did clay and wax the car before I picked it up. He also touched up some scratches on the bumper and front skirt.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this place and my new ride!

Jeff

1. What is good to use to condition the rubber seals on the doors and trunk? Can I use the Black Magic gel that I got for the tires?

I second 303 Aerospace protectant

2. What should I use to QD the rims when I QD the car in between washings?

Whatever QD you use on the car is fine, but I wouldn't waste anything expensive on the wheels.

3. The paint looks very good for a 6 year-old car. Some blemishes and chips, but very shiny. One thing that I noticed yesterday, when the sun is hitting the hood, I have these long feather-shaped reflective lines. It's like the reflective sun "burst" extends out and the "arms" of the burst don't have sharp edges. Just wondered what may be causing it and if it is some thing easily addressed with technique and/or product. The used car dealer did clay and wax the car before I picked it up. He also touched up some scratches on the bumper and front skirt.

Thats buffer burn caused by the improper use of a rotary buffer. It is removable but you'll need a machine. Either a PC or a rotary, but you'll have to learn how to use the rotary first or it'll just make it worse.

Thats buffer burn caused by the improper use of a rotary buffer. It is removable but you'll need a machine. Either a PC or a rotary, but you'll have to learn how to use the rotary first or it'll just make it worse.

Thanks for the replies.

SW, how hard would this be for me to take care of myself? Is a PC easier to use than a rotary? I'd like to learn to do it myself, but I don't know if I want to learn on my Lexus.

If I decide to take it to someone, how can I tell if the detail shop knows what they're doing?

Thanks for the help.

Not hard with a PC. It will take some time, paitience, and technique but you won't be able to hurt the paint with a PC. The best place to learn is on www.autopia.org. The rotary is something you don't want to try until you've mastered the PC.

If you take it to a shop, look at their work and look at their towels and pads. Do they use foam pads and microfiber towels? etc.

Not hard with a PC. It will take some time, paitience, and technique but you won't be able to hurt the paint with a PC. The best place to learn is on www.autopia.org. The rotary is something you don't want to try until you've mastered the PC.

If you take it to a shop, look at their work and look at their towels and pads. Do they use foam pads and microfiber towels? etc.

Great advice. Thank you!

I agree a little. I started on a rotary back in 1992 and have not look back!