New Timing Adjustment How To... (without Tearing It All The Way Down)

2rotor

Well I finally tackled the task of timing my LS400 after the shade tree mechanic fubared the waterpump/timing belt service (previous owner suddenly became a cheapskate and took the "easy route".. All the previous service including the engine replacement had been done at the local Lexus dealer)

Well the mechanic messed up the timing by about 2 teeth on the passenger side. The owner passed the car on to me in non running condition and I determined the timing was off. With no futher backstory to tell I'll get right to it.

I did not want to tear the whole front end down just to adjust the timing (as many people have to as it is hard to get it right and a lot of folks have to set it 2 or more times... I have simplified the process and it only requires the removal of a couple easy peices to get to.

1) Remove the Intake from the TB all the way to the front of the radiator.

2) Remove both of the plastic cam covers

3) Remove the ignition components from inside the cam area (I just layed them to the side without disconnecting them)

4) Remove the aluminum cam surrounds (unplug sensors and mark them)

5) Remove the two 12mm bolts that hold the belt tensioner

6) Compress the tensioner in a vice or large c clamp and push a long thin nail through the hole to hold it in place (set it to the side for later)

7) Remove the timing belt from the cams on both sides (slides off)

8) Turn the crank pulley to 0 degree mark and make sure that the #1 Cyl it at TDC (very important) remove the sparkplug and stick a long thin device in the hole and be sure it is at TDC or it will be 180 deg out of time.

9) Align the cam on the driver's side of the engine and pull the belt as tight as you can (seriously pull it really tight) and C clamp that bad boy in place (use the water inlet housing as a stop, so butt the c-clamp against it to hold it...)

10) Remove the Coil and hang it back over the TB area

11) For this step you need to make a cam holding tool. Don't get scared it's easy. Grab any flat metal you have laying around (I used 1" by 3 inch for the front (1/32 thick) and a peice about 7 inches long and 2 inches wide this for the backing) I then marked the holes that would need to be drilled in the tool. I lined up the long bracket with a hole on the bracket that holds the Coil and then drew with a paint pen to trace the topmost spoke on the passenger cam then drilled the holes on the small front bracket and rear bracket at the same time to ensure fitment. This is sounding complicated now that I type it.. Maybe I should draw a diagram.. Anyways I bolted the cam in place when it was lined up.. Just let me know if you need help with this process..

12) Now slide the timing belt back over the cam on the passenger side

13) Get a buddy to help because you will need them unless you have 3 arms... have your friend hold crank pulley at 0 degrees while you install the belt tensioner or it will move, ask me how I know..lol

14) pull the nail/pin out of the tensioner while your buddy still holds the crank pulley at 0.

TADA you are done... No more tearing it down all the way to get it right.. The tool is wicked handy and really takes the guess work out of it.

Turn the engine around by hand to be 100% sure that the marks are lined up (at least 2 full rotations)

Now just put the ignition back together and all the plastic covers back on and enjoy your Lexus.. If done with care it is only 1 1/2 hours of time...

Hope this helps someone out.