Side Protection Molding And Gas

Bardonia

I turned down the dealer offer (nearly $1000) to put side protection molding on my ES 350 to prevent dings. Has anyone had such molding put on their car at lower cost? Information appreciated.

I have been told that the ES 350 will run well on the grade below Premium. Any comments?

Thanks, Bardonia

I turned down the dealer offer (nearly $1000) to put side protection molding on my ES 350 to prevent dings. Has anyone had such molding put on their car at lower cost? Information appreciated.

I have been told that the ES 350 will run well on the grade below Premium. Any comments?

Thanks, Bardonia

I was quoted $450 for the side molding from the dealer, I declined.

I run my 350 on 87 octane with absolutely no problems...it's a lease :D

1000 is a rip off. about $500 is right. I would recommend changing dealers from now on for service and everything else. Those guys are not to be trusted. In terms of the gas, I recommend going for the 91 octane for the simple reason that it will last longer. The 87 or 89 octane gas is cheaper, but burn faster so you will get less MPG out of them, so in the end, putting the 91 octane will cost the same and you will be keeping up with the factory recommendations. In terms of impact on the car, you will probably not see any differences while your car is new, but after 4 or 5 years, the cumulative effects of putting lower octane gas will start to show (e.g. more vibrations and noise, especially when idle).

I disagree 100% on the above statements, since I've owned 4 ES's since 1991 and checked the gas mileage using both 87 octane, or 91-93 octanes. There was NO difference in the gas mileage, nor was there any harm done to any of these engines over a period of about 9 years of using 87 octane fuel.

Here's a page taken right out of the 2007 ES350 Owners Manual.

FuelRequirementsES350.jpg

I disagree 100% on the above statements, since I've owned 4 ES's since 1991 and checked the gas mileage using both 87 octane, or 91-93 octanes. There was NO difference in the gas mileage, nor was there any harm done to any of these engines over a period of about 9 years of using 87 octane fuel.

Did you experience any knocking on the 87 grade gas on upgrades?

Bardonia

1000 is a rip off. about $500 is right. I would recommend changing dealers from now on for service and everything else. Those guys are not to be trusted. In terms of the gas, I recommend going for the 91 octane for the simple reason that it will last longer. The 87 or 89 octane gas is cheaper, but burn faster so you will get less MPG out of them, so in the end, putting the 91 octane will cost the same and you will be keeping up with the factory recommendations. In terms of impact on the car, you will probably not see any differences while your car is new, but after 4 or 5 years, the cumulative effects of putting lower octane gas will start to show (e.g. more vibrations and noise, especially when idle).

Got any comments on the advantages or disadvantages of getting the side molding? Can a regular service station get the molding and install it?

Bardonia

Got any comments on the advantages or disadvantages of getting the side molding? Can a regular service station get the molding and install it?

Bardonia

Installing these strips is fairly easy since they're held on to the body with a two sided adhesive(no drilling holes), but I suggest it's done by people that know how to line up these strips accurately, otherwise they'll look crappy!!

Personally, I opted to not put on these strips because, 1- I like the new slab sided look without the strips, and 2- They really don't afford that much more protection from door dings.

Here's a page taken right out of the 2007 ES350 Owners Manual.

FuelRequirementsES350.jpg

Yupz, ran my own tests as well. Month #1 was all 91, Month #2 was 87 octane. Difference was about 0.2 mpg. I think these VVT-i engines are just very efficient. For some reason I can't bring myself to consistantly use the 87 octane. Hey, it's a Lex, I gotta use the 91 just to look cool I guess (or feel cool).