Looking To Buy '01-'05 Is 300 ...

Fhaq02

I am looking at buying a used IS 300 ... I was hoping for some advice on the different trim levels and options on this generation IS ... and possibly some links to reviews on which year would be the best to buy ...

I am a recent grad looking for a reliable car to last 3-4 years to go to work and clients ... any advice would be appreciated ...

Thanks ...

it depends on your budget. If its hoving around 10k, you can get a 01' or 02' for around that. Im currently looking for one myself, but a '04 or '05. A '04 or '05 w/ about 40k miles should be about $20k. It seems from the jd power reviews that the 04' is a bit better in reliability than the previous years. Since its a 3 year reliability review, the one for the '05 didnt come out yet. Also, i believe the '04 was the first year to have an arm rest in the center and also a retractable lid in center dash.

Heres a list of most of the changes from year to year. http://my.is/forums/f52/2001-2005-is300-de...es-list-228212/

There is a decent review of the '04 IS300 (http://www.internetautoguide.com/reviews/45-int/luxury-cars/lexus/is300/2004/index.html). Heres the list of options. Not sure if thats all of them.

A Leather Package ($2,465 for the sedan, $2,505 for the SportCross) includes leather trim, eight-way driver and passenger power seats, driver's-seat memory, and a programmable garage door opener. A similar package is available trimmed in leather and alcantara ($2,065 and $2,105). Heated front seats ($440) can be added to either package. We recommend the optional limited-slip differential ($390) to driving enthusiasts for improved traction when accelerating out of corners. We also recommend Vehicle Skid Control ($350) for models with automatics. A navigation system ($2,000) is also available.

I did hear about the sat nav being annoying and the fact that it does not come with a touch screen. Theres someone who put an alpine touch screen in the center dash - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IluSXPOKIU.

The '01s are pretty readily available while the later years ('04 and '05) are a bit harder to find. Here in the northeast, i have not seen anyone selling the '04 or '05 privately while in LA (on craigslist) i've seen a few just in the last week. The '08s just came out so people might be swaping out their rides. Havent seen that effect here yet but hoping to find a good deal.

hey thanks for all ur help ... all the packages and trims are helpful for me as it is problably the same for Canadian models ... as I am in Canada used car prices and things like that are probably alot different ...

I was orginally looking at an '02 or '03 with ideally less than 100,000 kms ... ive been seeing them through dealer listings in a price range of $19K to $23K ... but then again that is $CDN and cars here are alot more expensively priced... from what i hear that is a decent range ... my budget is around $20K

I want to try and find one with the premium package and im not sure whether i was standard or the automatic with paddle shifters ... any suggestions ? ...

I know that lexus cars are very reliable ... but i have heard things about unwanted accelleration problems ... are there any other types of problems that are common in IS300s (i.e. timing belt ... suspension etc.)? anything i should be aware of ? ...

THanks ...