Speedometer And Headlights

akritsuk

Hi,

I have es-300, 1993. I recently noticed that if I start engine and switch headlights on, the speedometer needle does not move anywhere from 0 mph while the car is moving. If I then switch headlights off and on again, the needle gets alive and shows the correct speed. If I do not use headlights everything works just fine from the beginning. A week ago speedometer worked just fine with and without headlights. What could be wrong with it? Please help, I'm sure, someone had that before.

Thanks a lot!

Actually, red is actively blinking on speedometer needle and both tachometer and temperature gadget are burned out and completely dim. This dimming wave propagates from left rightwards on my cluster. However, when it is cool outside, speedometer needle is all red. I wonder, if this burning out process for needles on my cluster is related to this speedometer/headlight problem? How much would it cost to replace the cluster?

Is it es-300 specific, or Camry has the same type?

Thanks a lot!

Actually, red is actively blinking on speedometer needle and both tachometer and temperature gadget are burned out and completely dim. This dimming wave propagates from left rightwards on my cluster. However, when it is cool outside, speedometer needle is all red. I wonder, if this burning out process for needles on my cluster is related to this speedometer/headlight problem? How much would it cost to replace the cluster?

Is it es-300 specific, or Camry has the same type?

the camery is totally different.as for the speedo you will need to replace it.try ebay or you might get lucky at a junk yard.if you have to buy it new it will cost like 800 bucks or more! :D

There is a gauge cluster for es-300 right now at e-bay, the latest bid is $320. Is it a reasonable price? Can I install it myself? How much would be the labor at Lexus dealer?

Thanks for constructive replies!

i guess thats a good price as long as its guarenteed to work!its as simple as six screws to install.just remove the 2 top screws on top of the cluster then pull that black peice out then unscrew the four screws holding in the cluster and pull out the 3 clips and thats it!go for it if its guarenteed to work! :D