Sign in to follow this  
IlyaIlya

Ticking Lifters

Hey, I have a 97 es300 with 140k miles on it. Since i bought it 3 yrs ago I had a TICKING sound from engine. SOme said its injectors, but I think its lifters.

I tried using thicker oil - no help. I tried lucas oil added with oil change, so far its a bit better, but not all gone. ANy real way to get rid of the ticking or quiten it some more without replacing lifter?

thank you

I guess no real simple fix with oils etc for it. Thanks

I guess I will just have to live with the Ticking ;)

I remember when you first bought your ES..........you came over to my house, and I heard the ticking. I mentioned at that time it sounded like some of your valve lifters needed adjustment or replacement. I'm surprised that it's been about 3 years already!

Like you mentioned, you either have to live with the ticking or spend big bucks to have this engine work done. :cries:

HEy ALan, yep, its been a while. 3 years went by quick. I see you got a 07 es350, nice looking car, you got to let me drive it once ;)

Hope everything is well, I guess I will just live with the ticking ( which I did for 3 yrs already) . I might try to sell it and maybe pick up a vette, m3, or something else. But for now $ is tight so not sure if I will choose that route.

thanks

Ilya

I've got the same problem if it makes you feel any better lol... hardly bothers me tbh. I can't hear em inside the car so it's all good.

the average person could adjust the valves & fix the top-end oil leaks from rotting seals in a weekend with about 40 bucks.

the key is getting all the measuring done ASAP by sat afternoon. that way you can call a toyota deal while it's open & be sure to have the needed shims on-hand to put it back together.

it's not hard, it just takes some time. re-use shims where possible too.

I've got the same problem if it makes you feel any better lol... hardly bothers me tbh. I can't hear em inside the car so it's all good.

NO IT DOES NOT Make me feel better ; ) ye inside the car you can not hear it, but when you come out its a bit annoying, or if you end up opening a window standing next to a car you hear it resinating. BUt not really huge deal. I probably will keep the car for another 2 yrs like this. Have to fix the rear rattle though, its starting to annoy me a bit . I believe its the bushings.

thanks

I have a noticable ticking engine that ticks all the time-

Not low on oil-

Ticking speeds up with engine speed-

I have to replace the valve cover gaskets here soon, what should I look for regarding lifters-

I'm going to attempt to adjust valves as well...