Locked Out!

Strafer

I took my girl out to dinner. When we returned to the car (90 ES 250), I use my key to unlock the door. All the doors unlock except the driver door. Not even the manual lock will budge. I broke my leg in an accident a while back and can't get in from the passenger side. Finally, with help, I managed to get in the window.

I'm quite mechanical and would have no problem removing the door panel to repair the problem. Not sure how you would do it with the door closed though. Seat is in the way. Anybody heard of this before? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Strafer,

You definitely have a problem on your hands. You are going to have to get the door unlocked and open to make any repairs. With the seat in the car there really is no way to get at the door panel to remove it. Your best bet is to get AAA or similar to use breakin tools to open the door. Be aware that this may too prove to be quite a problem. I can't say whether Lexus was as theft deterrent minded back in 90, but my wife had CAA try to get into her locked 97 ES and they worked over 45 minutes and still couldn't get into the car. The dealership that cut a new key said that the door control rods were covered to prevent jimmying the doors open. Regardless, once you get the door open and the door panel off, with the window glass in the up position you'll most likely find that the control rod to the lock assembly has come disconnected from the outside key lock tumbler. There is a separate rod that goes to the inside door lock release, and that one may be disconnected as well. There is a plastic clip that holds the rod in position at both locations, and you may find it broken, just undone, or missing and down in the bottom of the door. Weird that both would come undone at the same time, leading one to wonder if the lock mechanism doesn't have a bent or broken internal part. You won't know until you get inside the door. Good Luck!