Need Advice On Purchasing A Used Es300?

thapranksta

I'm looking at buying a '02 ES300 with what appears to be no problems except it needs new tires, the windshield needs repair, and the front door driver's lock does not work with the remote or the switch. The vehicle is for my wife. The dealership will put in a new windshield and fix the driver's door lock. The car has 84k miles on it and is selling for $15.9k. Is this a good deal or not? I sign off on the deal either Monday or Tuesday.

Also, do you guys recommend having all service done at a Lexus dealership or is a Toyota dealership good as well?

Thanks.

Have you driven it thoroughly to check for the transmission issues that were present in 02-05?

What transmission issues? The transmission doesn't shift as quickly as with other vehicles but I found that this is a common issue. The transmission didn't flare or anything like that. I just purchased the vehicle a little while ago :chairshot: but please give me more information. Thanks.

The transmission has a inherant "lag" or jarriness that exhibits itself when accelerating from a roll. Its not really an issue, more of a characteristic caused by the drive by wire system. It bothers some people more than others.

I'm looking at buying a '02 ES300 with what appears to be no problems except it needs new tires, the windshield needs repair, and the front door driver's lock does not work with the remote or the switch. The vehicle is for my wife. The dealership will put in a new windshield and fix the driver's door lock. The car has 84k miles on it and is selling for $15.9k. Is this a good deal or not? I sign off on the deal either Monday or Tuesday.

Also, do you guys recommend having all service done at a Lexus dealership or is a Toyota dealership good as well?

Thanks.

The 02 ES300 has alot of miles as well as the price is high. I would negotiate it to $12,000 have it look at if you have a mechanic. Also, the time belts need to be replaced soon. Good luck!

Thanks.

The 02 ES300 has alot of miles as well as the price is high. I would negotiate it to $12,000 have it look at if you have a mechanic. Also, the time belts need to be replaced soon. Good luck!

It's too late to negotiate. I have bought it already.:wacko:

yes, the 90k mile service is a big one, timing belt, water pump etc, lots of threads about it on here. It can be quite expensive at the Lexus dealership, almost 2k for some, many have taken their vehicle to a Toyota dealership or independent and had it done for much less. Do not disregard this service, if the timing belt breaks it will reek havoc on your engine. Maybe they did the 90k service but if they didn't put new tires on for you I cannot imagine they did that service.

I have the exact same car and I love it. It has been a fantastic car and worth the little maintenance that it requires. Don't worry about paying too much compared to what others have paid, enjoy the car and you can find out anything you need about your new car on this awesome site.

yes, the 90k mile service is a big one, timing belt, water pump etc, lots of threads about it on here. It can be quite expensive at the Lexus dealership, almost 2k for some, many have taken their vehicle to a Toyota dealership or independent and had it done for much less. Do not disregard this service, if the timing belt breaks it will reek havoc on your engine. Maybe they did the 90k service but if they didn't put new tires on for you I cannot imagine they did that service.

I have the exact same car and I love it. It has been a fantastic car and worth the little maintenance that it requires. Don't worry about paying too much compared to what others have paid, enjoy the car and you can find out anything you need about your new car on this awesome site.

Thanks. I had read a couple of threads on the 90k service and thought that it would be a little bit of a issue. I didn't mention it to my wife whom the vehicle is for because it would have probably given her a lame excuse to pass on a great car. How many miles is on your car and where can I find out about all the services (like the 90k) that the car should undergo?

As far as the tires, they agreed to buy 2 new tires and also provide a discount for the other tires that I pay for. They said that the tires were fine and had plenty of life left on them but they looked a little worn because of the low profile. I'd rather just get new tires at a great discount since they will let me do it.

As far as the windshield, they had to order one because of the rain sensors that I was unaware of. I'm really finding the REAL difference between a Camry and an ES.