Finance Manager Charged Me To Little - Do I Have To Pay?

coqui

I gave the dealership cash and a check for my new car. I realized on the drive home that the finance manager told me to write the check for an amount that was $4000 less than the total written contract price. Now, over a week later and with the check cashed by the dealership, the finance manager is calling wanting us to come in and pay the additional $4000. Can he do this?

I gave the dealership cash and a check for my new car. I realized on the drive home that the finance manager told me to write the check for an amount that was $4000 less than the total written contract price. Now, over a week later and with the check cashed by the dealership, the finance manager is calling wanting us to come in and pay the additional $4000. Can he do this?

Yes. You owe the amout that you agreed to on the signed contract. The contract is a legal document & you will be taken to cout if you don't pay to full down payment that you agreed to pay. Sorry. The finance mgr. made a mistake, but the contract is binding.

If you signed documents stating that you owe set amount then you owe set amount. I could understand if they understated it all in the signed documents then, of course, you could simply say that said amount was all agreed upon in writing.

To put it in perspective - what if the shoe was on the other foot. Like if you paid $4000 too much. Would you want your $4000 back from the dealer?

It's your responsibility as a consumer, especially where a contract has been signed, to be diligent. If the consumer paid $4k too much - over contract amount - they would get their $$ back (in court - which would cost $8k!). This all goes back to a signed legal contract. You owe what you agreed to pay on the signed contract. That's why you need to read everything before you sign a legal document.

• 2 weeks later...

Read the contract again. Assuming he also signed the contract, does it say he received the total amount agreed on? If he allowed you to leave without paying but signed saying you did,(see where I'm heading?) I believe in doing what is right but you may have an upper hand here.