Windshield Cracks?

Anyone experience windshield cracking? My '07 has 3 large cracks from the edges in 29000 km. More than on other vehicles in years. What's the cause?

Was it from a rock chip? If so get it fixed through your insurance. If not take it in and ask Lexus...maybe the windshield was not installed correctly...but I am not aware of the windows cracking...mine is an 04 the windshield is fine...know plenty of other people that have RX's and no problems with the windshields.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Lexus of Mobile, AL to have my 30,000 mile service on my 2007 rx350/su. I was shocked when I got the bill for $662.03. The cost for parts/$195.83, labor/$412.50, G.O.G/ $16.08???, MISC $20.00, can someone please tell me if this is a normal charge for labor? What is G.O.G? Also, ten minutes after leaving the dealership, my tire light came on. I'm having no problems with the car; I only went in for my regular service.Cost for 30,000 mile service???

I also have a crack in my windshield and got a quote for the cost to replace it from Lexus of Mobile, AL; After giving them my vin #, they informed me it would cost $1,400. Is this a normal cost for a Lexus 07 RX350 windshield? When I asked them why so high??? They told me the reason is, "we install a Lexus windshield and you have rain sensors". I then ask if I could get a quote on a regular windsheild with no rain sensor??---$1300?? Is this normal?

• 1 month later...
I went to Lexus of Mobile, AL to have my 30,000 mile service on my 2007 rx350/su. I was shocked when I got the bill for $662.03. The cost for parts/$195.83, labor/$412.50, G.O.G/ $16.08???, MISC $20.00, can someone please tell me if this is a normal charge for labor? What is G.O.G? Also, ten minutes after leaving the dealership, my tire light came on. I'm having no problems with the car; I only went in for my regular service.Cost for 30,000 mile service???

I also have a crack in my windshield and got a quote for the cost to replace it from Lexus of Mobile, AL; After giving them my vin #, they informed me it would cost $1,400. Is this a normal cost for a Lexus 07 RX350 windshield? When I asked them why so high??? They told me the reason is, "we install a Lexus windshield and you have rain sensors". I then ask if I could get a quote on a regular windsheild with no rain sensor??---$1300?? Is this normal?

Just had my RX windshield replaced with rain sensor - cost about $1100 CDN - (but with $ about equal, it should be similar). Dealer ordered in the glass and had a glass shop come in to do the work. Seems fine.

I'm still upset by the 3 cracks in 30,000 km - a rate of one per 10,000 km - at this rate, I would have had 55 in my last 2 vans - instead of the 4 I had. Is it a design deficiency to have an easily crackable windshield - or was my first year just very unlucky?

I went to Lexus of Mobile, AL to have my 30,000 mile service on my 2007 rx350/su. I was shocked when I got the bill for $662.03. The cost for parts/$195.83, labor/$412.50, G.O.G/ $16.08???, MISC $20.00

Does anyone know if these are normal/expected dealer service rates...seems very high. I guess with a Lexus, one can expect higher dealership service costs, but what is reasonable?

I went to Lexus of Mobile, AL to have my 30,000 mile service on my 2007 rx350/su. I was shocked when I got the bill for $662.03. The cost for parts/$195.83, labor/$412.50, G.O.G/ $16.08???, MISC $20.00

Does anyone know if these are normal/expected dealer service rates...seems very high. I guess with a Lexus, one can expect higher dealership service costs, but what is reasonable?

The cost for the routine maintenance may be reasonable. What services did the dealer perform? Here's what I learned about having routine maintenance done at the dealer. The Lexus owners manual suggests maintenance for service intervals. My dealer has its own handbook that suggests services to be performed. It looks just like an official Lexus publication, but it has the dealer name on it. Guess what ?,there is a whole lot of recommended services that probably are not necessary. Anyway it suggests more services than Lexus. So I am careful to explain exactly what I want done and ask how much.

• 1 month later...

I just took my '07 in for a cracked windshield (I do not believe any rock hit it) at 14,000 miles. The quote was $1895 for parts/labor with the rain sensor. We live in Chicago, if that makes any difference. I think they're avoiding a warranty repair; they did the "pen test" and of course there's a snag because the glass isn't perfect anymore! I read on another thread that Corporate will ask them to take a better lok and the person got theirs covered under warranty. Sorry I can't help to explain the other charges - good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar experience. My RX330 windshield cracked all by itself while the car was sitting in parking position under 110 Fahrenheit degree in September.

On day 1, Saturday, a very hot day and the car was in parking position outside the garage, the crack was very smooth and ran about 5 inches down starting from the very top, on the driver's view side.

On day 2, nothing changed when I drove to Church. After Church, I observed the crack got extended toward the small mirror running like a snake. Since the cracks now made curves, the crack was not smooth anymore near the snake like curves

From then on, it started cracking snake like toward the bottom. I am not sure why it did that way instead of a straight line.

I brought the car to Lexus, they did a pen test (pushing back and forth making the crack now looks... ugly) and concluded the cause was by rock hitting :unsure:

Saying there was not much they could do, they did not do windshield replacement and that I had to go find a shop myself :wacko:

I consulted my insurance and they referred a shop that they had partnership with. The shop specialized in auto glass and they seem to pride in what they do. That shop replaced the windshield for a little over $400. That was the final cost including the 3 1/2 hours of labor (as saying in the invoice) (although it only took them less than 1 hour; since I stayed at the shop watching them replacing the windshield). The windshield replaced was a Lexus windshield; the shop ordered from Lexus. When I asked for the cost, they said $400+ saying Lexus windshield is expensive acted like $400 is a lot of money. I mean, they sounded like $400 is a big order that they don't normally charge on other cars. My Lexus dealer didn't say anything so I did not know how much it would cost. I did feel great because I prepared in mind that it would cost a lot :lol:

I ceased liking Lexus starting from this event and I am very surprised to learn that it cost you that much replacing directly from Lexus.

• 1 year later...

This is a normal charge for a major service on most Lexus' As far as the GOG charge, that is the way dealerships charge out engine oil (yours takes 5 quarts of oil). This is a synthetic blend so it does cost more than regular oil. The MISC charge is probably for shop supplies which is a charge that dealerships add on for things like cleaning fluids, oil rags, wheel weights Ect...

This is a normal charge for a major service on most Lexus' As far as the GOG charge, that is the way dealerships charge out engine oil (yours takes 5 quarts of oil). This is a synthetic blend so it does cost more than regular oil. The MISC charge is probably for shop supplies which is a charge that dealerships add on for things like cleaning fluids, oil rags, wheel weights Ect...

Please help me out here, but are you attempting to justify dealership charges for service? If so, you are going to lose that argument! :rolleyes:

Please help me out here, but are you attempting to justify dealership charges for service? If so, you are going to lose that argument! :rolleyes:

No. I'm not trying to justify the dealership charges, just explain what they are. That is what he was asking, wasn't it. I do not feel that shop charges are exactly fair and are used to get more money from the customer in most cases due to the fact that some dealers will charge a percentage of the total bill to determine shop charges. If you go in for a simple repair or minor service, then shop supplies should not be charged, but if it is a major service or repair, then a fair charge should be applied which would be up to the owner of the vehicle to review and discuss with the service writer or manager.

No. I'm not trying to justify the dealership charges, just explain what they are. That is what he was asking, wasn't it. I do not feel that shop charges are exactly fair and are used to get more money from the customer in most cases due to the fact that some dealers will charge a percentage of the total bill to determine shop charges. If you go in for a simple repair or minor service, then shop supplies should not be charged, but if it is a major service or repair, then a fair charge should be applied which would be up to the owner of the vehicle to review and discuss with the service writer or manager.

Okay, but I still cannot justify the difference in price between service at a Lexus dealership, and the exact same service at a Toyota dealership. The Toyota service is always at least half the price of the Lexus service. The only difference is the 'designer' water, flat screen plasma TV in the customer lounge, and the pastries.. For $50-$250 savings at Toyota, I think I can do without those 'perks'.. And my Toyota dealership has free coffee and donuts too.. :)

Okay, but I still cannot justify the difference in price between service at a Lexus dealership, and the exact same service at a Toyota dealership. The Toyota service is always at least half the price of the Lexus service. The only difference is the 'designer' water, flat screen plasma TV in the customer lounge, and the pastries.. For $50-$250 savings at Toyota, I think I can do without those 'perks'.. And my Toyota dealership has free coffee and donuts too.. :)

I agree. Toyota parts do cost less than Lexus part for the exact same part. What you are paying for at Lexus is the experience. I prefer to buy my parts at Toyota too (if I can ) and do the work myself. One other not, if you do maintain a good relationship with your Lexus dealer, they can offer perks that you cannot get at Toyota like goodwill repair, free services, roadside service Ect.... Now if you have the money and need for that experience, then Lexus is the way to go, but if not then Toyota or some other repair shop may be the way to go. I still prefer to work on my car myself.