Check Engine Light

yidaitianjiaous

I am new here and I just bought a 92 Lexus LS 400 three weeks ago for $2500. I thank you guys giving such wonderful information. the car works fine except follwings:

----Broken Antenna, I followed the threads here and bought one mast for $18 and installed yesterday. REALLY GREAT!

----CD shows ERR in display, i am trying to fix it today, Try it with cleaning CD first. If not work, I will remove the cd CHanger and send to a audio repair shop---this is suggetsion in this forum....thanks guys.

----Driver side seat wear and tear, i just bought two seat covers to cover up the front seats, look good :blushing:

----Master power window switch does'r control all four windows. i opened the control and found a broken plastic bracket or something inside is broken and the little spring don't work some time.but i spent $5 buying a electric contact spray and clean the contacts in the master control. Now i can control driver side window, and other windows works on their own swich.... MUCH BETTER than NOT WORKING AT ALL.

----Door signal and open-door light/foot light contact no good. i spray some liquid. the bell works intermitantaly..

----this morning, i aslo dismentle the cemtral console panel and clean it up. Ten years acuumulation are really a mess underneath, cokes, sugar, even sticker note underneath.

Now i have a major problem. maybe i will not concern to much. The CHECK ENGINE light

when i bought the car, the guy told me i must fully refeul becaus ehe put something in the tank. one day, i drove for half hour freeway, the check engine light goes off. thought it is good now. but yersterday it comes on again. and sometimes goes off by itself.

This morning, i check the code. its 31 and 71. 31 means Air Flow Meter Signal, 71 means EGR system Malfunction. I need to fix these two. PLEASE somebody outta there give me directions.

you may email me OCTOBERSCORPION@HOTMAIL.COM

THIS IS GREAT FORUM, FULL OF INFORMATIONS

THANKS AGAIN GUYS

I am new here and I just bought a 92 Lexus LS 400 three weeks ago for $2500. I thank you guys giving such wonderful information. the car works fine except follwings:

----Broken Antenna, I followed the threads here and bought one mast for $18 and installed yesterday. REALLY GREAT!

----CD shows ERR in display, i am trying to fix it today, Try it with cleaning CD first. If not work, I will remove the cd CHanger and send to a audio repair shop---this is suggetsion in this forum....thanks guys.

----Driver side seat wear and tear, i just bought two seat covers to cover up the front seats, look good :blushing:

----Master power window switch does'r control all four windows. i opened the control and found a broken plastic bracket or something inside is broken and the little spring don't work some time.but i spent $5 buying a electric contact spray and clean the contacts in the master control. Now i can control driver side window, and other windows works on their own swich.... MUCH BETTER than NOT WORKING AT ALL.

----Door signal and open-door light/foot light contact no good. i spray some liquid. the bell works intermitantaly..

----this morning, i aslo dismentle the cemtral console panel and clean it up. Ten years acuumulation are really a mess underneath, cokes, sugar, even sticker note underneath.

Now i have a major problem. maybe i will not concern to much. The CHECK ENGINE light

when i bought the car, the guy told me i must fully refeul becaus ehe put something in the tank. one day, i drove for half hour freeway, the check engine light goes off. thought it is good now. but yersterday it comes on again. and sometimes goes off by itself.

This morning, i check the code. its 31 and 71. 31 means Air Flow Meter Signal, 71 means EGR system Malfunction. I need to fix these two. PLEASE somebody outta there give me directions.

you may email me OCTOBERSCORPION@HOTMAIL.COM

THIS IS GREAT FORUM, FULL OF INFORMATIONS

THANKS AGAIN GUYS

Hi,

I have some directions for fixing those problems. Hope it helps. But the documents are about 1991 LS400, not 1992. I guess it applies to your car too.

If I were you, I'd ignore the possible problems with ECU, go directly to the AFM and EGR.

Good luck!

diagc8.pdf

diagc13.pdf

Your code is different thant the problem I was having but in case it helps...I found a post on this site for cleaning the MAF or mass airflow sensor and that did the trick for my Code P0172.

I am pretty sure this is the same same problem you are having with the check engine light with a code 71. Search my post entitled:

Victory Over Code P0172 Rich! Cleaning Mass Airflow Sensor Worked

I posted some pictures and instructions of how I did that.

• 2 months later...
Your code is different thant the problem I was having but in case it helps...I found a post on this site for cleaning the MAF or mass airflow sensor and that did the trick for my Code P0172.

I am pretty sure this is the same same problem you are having with the check engine light with a code 71. Search my post entitled:

Victory Over Code P0172 Rich! Cleaning Mass Airflow Sensor Worked

I posted some pictures and instructions of how I did that.

I removed my engine from my 1992 to fix the rear crossover water manifold between the two heads. While the engine was out i replaced the EGR Tube, had the starter rebuilt, and cleaned the Intake Manifolds, upper and lower, especially the EGR Passage ways. Now my check engine light comes on with the trac light, which is expected. But then it would go off.

Now the trac light comes on, with out the engine light coming on. I changed the bulb or swapped it with the Tail Light warning lamp, they both look the same and are only separated by the TRAC bulb. So after swapping those bulbs, to see if it was just a bulb burned out, it still did not light up. So maybe that other bulb was burned out you could say?. HMMMM. So now i need to figure out how to get a code with out a bulb that can blink.....

I need the bulb to light up so i can count the flashes.

Please help

THE SNAKE

:censored: