02 Es300 Timing Belt

Is it critical for the dealership to replace the timing belt and water pump on my car? Their quote is @$1,100, and quotes from two other mechanics is @500-600. I'm a believer that the dealerships rates for maintenance and service are inflated. I do my own brake and oil changes and I'm going to get the belt/pump done in the next few weeks.

If there's a reason to go to the dealer I will. I just don't want to throw an extra 500 away for no reason. Thanks for any input.

Marty

Is it critical for the dealership to replace the timing belt and water pump on my car? Their quote is @$1,100, and quotes from two other mechanics is @500-600. I'm a believer that the dealerships rates for maintenance and service are inflated. I do my own brake and oil changes and I'm going to get the belt/pump done in the next few weeks.

If there's a reason to go to the dealer I will. I just don't want to throw an extra 500 away for no reason. Thanks for any input.

Marty

Generally, the only reason to go to a dealers service dept. for this type of work is because they're more familiar working with Toyota engines.

I would also check the prices at a Toyota dealer for the belt/water pump replacement......it'll probably be cheaper, and they'll use the same OEM parts as would Lexus.

Marty

Generally, the only reason to go to a dealers service dept. for this type of work is because they're more familiar working with Toyota engines.

I would also check the prices at a Toyota dealer for the belt/water pump replacement......it'll probably be cheaper, and they'll use the same OEM parts as would Lexus.

Called the local toyota dealer and they quoted 650.00, and that includes parts. Thanks

I wonder because my 90k was $1250 including the plugs, water pump, timing belt, and all the other stuff they do (cabin filter, etc). So if he was quoted $1100 I bet it was for the whole service, which makes $600 from Toyota just for the pump and belt not as great a deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the opposite experience with fluid change/trans service. The local Toyota dealer was higher then the Lex dealer, and they were both owned by the same company (Hendrick). I ended up having a local shop that works on domestic and imports do the work for aboug half of the dealer's estimate. So far, so good, but it does not take a master tech to change fluids....

• 4 weeks later...

TCISine -

Where did you get your work done in Charlotte or Concord if you don't mind me asking? I have a 2001 IS300 and need to get the 90K done. Also, how much did you pay for the service? Did it include the following?

Timing Belt - replace

Water pump - replace

Radiator Collant - replace

Transmission fluid - replace

Differential fluid - replace

Brake fluid - complete flush

Spark plug - replace

Oil + filter - replace

PCV Valve - Replace

Any info would be appreciated, and sorry for hi-jacking this thread as well. Thanks guys.