Audio Advice

flop170

first off i have a 10" kicker L7 in my other car... and i don't really want to put it in the IS because it requires such a big box... and i don't want the extra weight and it's pretty much all loud and no quality.... i'm looking for something that i can hear as far as bass goes to pick up where the stock 6x9s fail.... i don't want to shake my car apart... just want a full spectrum of sound that isn't gonna take up my whole trunk.... has anyone tried the infinity basslink or something similar? or will just replacing the stock 6x9s make the difference i'm looking for?

Did you take a look at the sub install I did an mine? I get more bass than I need and it takes up no trunk space at all.

Did you take a look at the sub install I did an mine? I get more bass than I need and it takes up no trunk space at all.

yea i saw that and i liked it a lot, but i don't know how to do fiberglass.... is it hard?

No it's not hear at all. there are some "tricks to the trade" involved. But it's not hard to do.

And I have since put a grill on the speaker and now I have no problems at all with it. I put my golf clubs on it, groceries, etc.etc. and no worries at all.

No it's not hear at all. there are some "tricks to the trade" involved. But it's not hard to do.

And I have since put a grill on the speaker and now I have no problems at all with it. I put my golf clubs on it, groceries, etc.etc. and no worries at all.

cool i'll do some research on it! that does seem to be the best way to do it.... :cheers:

hey i looked at your pics of your box you made and read a couple how tos and i think i got a good idea... i just had a couple of questions..... did you put something on the plastic trunk piece you used for a mold so it didn't stick to it? and also you fiberglassed up and over the particle board from the cylinder right? and how thick does it have to be?

What I did was waxed the plastic cover with car wax first. ( Use a good wax, not a cheap on, as the cheap ones don't contain enouph wax. Then I used black duct tape and taped it all off. try to keep it to one layer, you'll get a tight fit that way. Once I had an even layer of tape on the inside of the tire cover I car waxed the tape. This time though I just applied the wax and left it all on. Then I used a brush and applied the resin, then I applied the glass sheets.( I would cut them into like 3'' strips to make it easy to work with.) Make sure you fiberglass about 4'' around the top flat area. In other words, fiberglass the vertical cylinder part, and the horizontal top area. That way when you put the MDF board over the top you can drill holes thru it to attach the MDF face. I used 1" thick MDF for the weight and to stop any vibrations. ( it worked). As for the fiberglas I used about 3 layers of resin and glass. ( By the way, JL audio has the smallest enclosure space needed that I could find. Not to mention it's a JL Audio triple voice coil sub. Nothing else really needs to be said.)

Once the fiberglass set up, I pulled it out and removed all the duct tape. Then I predrilled the holes in the fiberglass and the MDF and I sanded the top nice and flat so there wouldn't be any leaks. then I used some fiber fill and put some inside the box, used 2 part epoxy along the sanded lip, and screwed the MDF to the fiberglass. Oh, I drilled a hole for the speaker wire to come out, and used a rubber gromet to seal that hole. I also used 3M Super 77 adhesive spray and charcoal vinyl and covered the MDF to finish it.