Should I Buy An Extended Warrantee Before The Factory One Expires?

milehigh5280

Hi,

I just bought my wife a used RX330 (first Lexus) and it is still in the factory warranty period. Lexus said I can buy an extended warranty through them as long as I don't let the current one expire. They also said it is a Lexus warranty not a third party one. Been there done that won't do that again. So my question is .... are these extended warranties worth it with Lexus or do I even need one. All we've owned are Mercedes, Volvo and Saab so with those cars we liked the extended warranty. Your opinions are appreciated.

Don

Denver

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I just bought my wife a used RX330 (first Lexus) and it is still in the factory warranty period. Lexus said I can buy an extended warranty through them as long as I don't let the current one expire. They also said it is a Lexus warranty not a third party one. Been there done that won't do that again. So my question is .... are these extended warranties worth it with Lexus or do I even need one. All we've owned are Mercedes, Volvo and Saab so with those cars we liked the extended warranty. Your opinions are appreciated.

Don

Denver

Len Stoler Lexus (in Baltimore) sells Lexus factory extended warranties (for cars not yet out of warranty) for $100 dollars over their cost from Lexus (or Toyota Motor Sales; the Lexus parent). This is hundreds to thousands below most Lexus dealer prices. You have to tell them you want the "Consumers Checkbook" price. Consumers Checkbook, a Washington DC based consumer services research organization, negotiates extended warranty prices for most car brands with dealers around the country. These dealers, who get their names and contact info listed in the Consumers Checkbook website (http://www.checkbook.org/auto/extendedservice.cfm), offer the warranties for anywhere from $50 to $200 over their cost. They get many out-of-their-area customers that they would not have otherwise gotten. I paid $820 ($0 deductible) to extend the warranty to 6years/70,000 miles. Most dealers wanted $1700 to $2400 for the same warranty. Others terms/mileages are available. Len Stoler Lexus: 410-581-7000, ask for Kathleen Walsh in the finance dept.

smz42

Olney. MD