Lexus Certified Collision Center

Hello all. This is my first post to this forum - I'm the recent pround owner of a '06 GS300 AWD. Unfortunately I was involved in a minor fender bender a couple of weeks ago, that has resulted in a hole in my front bumper. The local Lexus dealership took a look and told me there is no additional damage - just a front bumper replacement should do it (side note: the estimate was for $1000. For a front bumper replacement? Really?!).

After doing some research I've learned that the dealership does NOT do the work themselves (which apparently is quite common). Rather they send the vehicles out to other body shops in the area. Of course, the dealership won't tell me who they use. I have also read that Lexus has a Certified Collision Center program. My concern is whether the body shops the dealership would send my car to are certified or not. Also, does it even really matter for a job as small as a bumper replacement? I'm very unhappy with both local Lexus dealerships here in lower Fairfield county, CT since they both seem to want to rush me into having the car fixed and won't share the details of where my car would go. So, I'm wondering if I can get away with going somewhere else (i.e. any other I-car or DuPont certified shop)? Finally, if not, is there any good way to find a Lexus certified shop? There is no way to search for one on the website, and calling Lexus proved useless (the representative suggested I go down the list of dealers, one-by-one, call and ask if they have a body shop!)

Thanks in advance for your help/thoughts!

Beware that some owners of Lexus dealerships also own the certified body shops. Exactly the case in Arizona where Roger Penske ownes two Lexus dealership, several other franchises and just coincidentally all refer to a body shop owned by Pensky without disclosing it. And they gave me a bid on some fairly minor work which was 50% higher than others. There is really nothing magic about a certified body shop that you can't find elsewhere. I found two excellent body shops by referrals--one from people who had used a specific shop and the other from a supplier of paint to body shops.

Good luck,

Tom

Beware that some owners of Lexus dealerships also own the certified body shops. Exactly the case in Arizona where Roger Penske ownes two Lexus dealership, several other franchises and just coincidentally all refer to a body shop owned by Pensky without disclosing it. And they gave me a bid on some fairly minor work which was 50% higher than others. There is really nothing magic about a certified body shop that you can't find elsewhere. I found two excellent body shops by referrals--one from people who had used a specific shop and the other from a supplier of paint to body shops.

Good luck,

Tom

Thanks for the info, Tom. It sucks that the dealerships have a monopoly on things and so charge an arm and a leg for work.

I ended up going through the body shop the Lexus dealer works with. They guarantee the work for life, and more importantly agreed to do the job for the same amount as the insurance company estimate (i.e. I don't have to pay anything). I'll get the car back on Friday - hopefully things look good!

My feedback to Lexus: why can't you have a nice certified body shop locator like the one on Toyota's website? It's a shame that the luxury division of the same manufacturer is lacking in terms of a website - something that's key in this day and age!