A/c Not Blowing Cold Air All The Time

j4ow

My 03 GX's A/C doesn't seem to cool all the time, it blows cold air (not very cold) and then warm (room temp) air on and off, while idling or driving, no matter how fast or slow. I just had TSIB AC003-06 regarding "the A/C not cooling" done at Lexus and the car seems to be exactly the same, it has 61k miles. The only noticebale difference is that when it blows cold air, the air is a bit colder than it used to be, but then it goes back to blowing room temp air on and off.

I was incredibly pleased with Lexus, they covered the TISB (otherwise $2500 or so) and gave me a loaner for 8 days while the parts came in and the job was performed. It is very HOT here in the South, it has been over 100 degrees now for over 11 days straight, when the 100 degree weather started is when I noticed the problem.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this a common and non-fixable issue with these cars? I just bought it about 1.5 months ago and have a terrible clunk and this A/C problem...the clunk kit has been on order for over a month now and is still on backorder, the Lexus dealer said they will pay for that as well though, thank God!!

Lexus has been wonderful but the A/C and the clunk are terrible on my car.

I called Lexus again today about the A/C and they want me to take the car back to them on 8/22 and will provide another loaner, they said it should be blowing cold air (but it doesn't all the time and when it does it isn't really cold).

Any ideas or suggestions on this A/C issue???

Thanks so much in advance!!

My 03 GX's A/C doesn't seem to cool all the time, it blows cold air (not very cold) and then warm (room temp) air on and off, while idling or driving, no matter how fast or slow. I just had TSIB AC003-06 regarding "the A/C not cooling" done at Lexus and the car seems to be exactly the same, it has 61k miles. The only noticebale difference is that when it blows cold air, the air is a bit colder than it used to be, but then it goes back to blowing room temp air on and off.

I was incredibly pleased with Lexus, they covered the TISB (otherwise $2500 or so) and gave me a loaner for 8 days while the parts came in and the job was performed. It is very HOT here in the South, it has been over 100 degrees now for over 11 days straight, when the 100 degree weather started is when I noticed the problem.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this a common and non-fixable issue with these cars? I just bought it about 1.5 months ago and have a terrible clunk and this A/C problem...the clunk kit has been on order for over a month now and is still on backorder, the Lexus dealer said they will pay for that as well though, thank God!!

Lexus has been wonderful but the A/C and the clunk are terrible on my car.

I called Lexus again today about the A/C and they want me to take the car back to them on 8/22 and will provide another loaner, they said it should be blowing cold air (but it doesn't all the time and when it does it isn't really cold).

Any ideas or suggestions on this A/C issue???

Thanks so much in advance!!

The clunk should be covered under the powertrain warranty which extends out to 70k miles. Other than the TSIB, I'm not sure what else people have done.

If you don't mind, can you click "Contribute Content" on my new site www.FAQLexus.com and add your experience w/ what they've done off your work order? I'd like to get a collection of parts and procedure they've done to "try" and fix various issues. This would be helpful to others for sure!

• 2 years later...

Did you ever solve your problem with the ac? I recently purchased a 2003 GX with 95K miles. The AC only blows cold when the sun is behind clouds. The dealer quoted me $3495.13 to fix TSB AC003-06, which is pretty much replace the whole AC system. Ouch! I am not sure if it is worth it. I wonder if I went to a local AC mechanic he could do the same thing for much less?

What is happenning is the AC Mag Clutch Relay is tripping, You need to replace that which is located in the Fuse Box. These is a TSB # EL009-05. The indication would be if you observe the A/C light flashing when the trip happen from cool air to normal room temp. The Part number is 90987-02028. And the old part number is 90987-02022. Check if this has been replaced. hope this helps